I let the girls out of their cage.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ouracrybaby, Jul 22, 2011.

1. ouracrybaby

ouracrybaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Wellsburg
    I have a handicapped bantam, Goliath, and her buddy Dora. They are indoor chickens that so far have been keep in a cage. Now they have their own area to wander in my room. I try to get them outside for a few hours a day, but neither one is much into walking. Their "roost" I made from a cat tree that wasn't being used. It's perfect because they have a hard time getting up onto things, so now that I've adjusted it, they can feel a bit more like "normal" chickens!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    So Stinkin Cute!

3. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Your post brought tears to my eyes, you have a HEART OF GOLD! I too have a handicapped hen and I have to make special arrangement for her. Althought I will probably never meet you you are part of the special "family" if BYCers that extend their heart and soul to the less fortunete. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my little Missy and her is her nighttime buddy. She is my SPECIAL girl!

You made such a creative and fun playpen for your girls and I especially love the use of noodles for the corral edges gotta remember that one!
    [​IMG]

4. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    aaawww, They are SOOOO cute!!!!

5. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    Sooo adorable!!
    My fave bird was my scissorbeak polish hen Ugg. She was so friendly and followed me everywhere. I was heartbroken when she passed, I felt like a failure. Bless you for hanging onto the speical ones. Love the set up!

6. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    God BLess your hearts - youv'e stolen mine! [​IMG]

7. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Beautiful girls....you have every right to be proud

8. ouracrybaby

Jun 21, 2011
    Wellsburg
    awww thank you all! I found the best liner for the new spot is half of a vinyl tablecloth. Cheap and easy and not slippery (flannel side up). Goliath's bad leg gets tangled on almost everything so I needed to figure out a smooth surface that was not messy and not expensive. Now I can change it quickly and toss it right into the wash, or hose it outside while the girls are busy messing up the next one.

I was worried about taking them out of the cage because I have two cats and a pit bull. The pit bull eats their food, but avoids them lol. One cat totally ignores them and the other likes to bathe himself right next to them. So far it's just one big happy family!

9. ouracrybaby

Jun 21, 2011
    Wellsburg
    Quote:Missy is adorable! Yeah the noodles was the cheapest idea I could come up with. They stuck together great with some hot glue and if we ever get a flood, the girls can just climb onto one lol.

10. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    That's really special. Thank you for sharing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by