1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I let them play in the snow

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gunnygranny, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Gunnygranny

Gunnygranny Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2009
    Western slope
    It got up to 0 today and the sun was out so I let the girls out to play. They have a run and access to it all the time, but no one ones to go into it.The run is partly covered with a tarp, so there is dry dirt and the rest now has snow on it. Today I let them out of the coop into the yard -- a yard covered with snow -- they were not real sure just what to do with the whole idea at first and after about 10 min they sorta got the hang of it and ran off to play. Their fav place is the compost pile which of course is burried with snow -- so they just walked around for a while. They were very ready to come back in when I called them. We'll see what happens the next time I let them out or if they use their run more.

Rita, in snow covered Colo

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    you've seen it before... so happy I live in AZ this time of year.

3. ponygal12

ponygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I live in NH and we just recently got a foot of snow. My friend let her chickens out and she said they loved it! She said if she let them, they would have played the whole day. [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Mine are NOT fans of the white stuff! And saying "It got up to zero today" makes me appreciate the 30s a little more... [​IMG]

5. miss.eggonomics

miss.eggonomics Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2009
    ft. smith
    that sounds so cute it hasnt snowed around here(yet) but as soon as it does i might want to let the girlies out! [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:No kidding! Brrrrrrrrr.

7. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    mine went out today for the first time.. only a few inches of snow and the sun came out.. they were fine.. jumping from rock to rock and climbing on the branches to roost in the sun shine.. it was a little breezy and 30 but they were fine, they even scratched in the snow.

8. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    And here I am concerned about 2 inches of rain in the last 24hrs! So Cal needs the rain- but jeez! Cant imagine temps as low as yours- I worry bout my chicks enough just getting wet. Thats the newbie in me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by