I live in freehold township New Jersey

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by greenwarrior, Jun 13, 2014.

1. greenwarrior

greenwarrior New Egg

Jun 13, 2014
    I cannot find any information for having backyard chickens in freehold township can any one help
    Thanks
    Ian

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Your township must have published ordinances. Contact them for a copy.

3. jimkathy

jimkathy New Egg

Jun 25, 2014
    How many chickens are allowed in unincorporated Cook County, Illinois? We have been cited for a violation of more than 3 pets per residence - can anyone help to save our chickens?

4. rrod1393

rrod1393 New Egg

Jul 24, 2014
    I just recently moved to Freehold Twp. Were you able to find anything about having chickens? I only want about 2 or 3. I used to have 10 when I lived in Neptune. Let me know thanks.

5. rrod1393

rrod1393 New Egg

Jul 24, 2014
    This is from the Freehold Twp website. I think I will still ask my neighbors.

The following restrictions shall apply to all areas located in a residential zone within Freehold Township pursuant to §§ 190-125 through 190-143 of Chapter 190, Land Use:
    A.

Housing or storing of farm animals is prohibited unless a location in which the animals are being stored is a farm in accordance with this article.

B.

Large exotic animals, as determined by the Freehold Township Health Department, and potentially dangerous species are not permitted in residential zones.

6. French Hen

French Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Cloud 9
    We have NJ chickens too. Anyone else know much about New Jersey's chicken laws? I live in a tiny township that doesn't even have ordinances finished and posted or available. But I also have fabulous neighbors and a decent sized piece of property so no one cares.

7. French Hen

Mar 19, 2012
    Cloud 9
    What is considered a "farm" in Freehold? I'd try to be viewed as a farm I'd possible. Or keep the chickens as pets and not as "farm animals" Unless there is an extensive list of what is considered a "pet" (and there probably isn't any such list) then you can keep your pet chickens as pets and not livestock. You probably already treat your chickens like pets and not livestock anyway.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  8. rrod1393

rrod1393 New Egg

Jul 24, 2014
    Poultry is listed as a farm animal in the definitions before the ordinance.

9. French Hen

Mar 19, 2012
    Cloud 9
    You can argue that the definition of poultry applies to fowl kept for meat and eggs and your birds are kept as pets.

10. Deevee000

Deevee000 New Egg

Feb 14, 2016
    I live in Freehold township too. I have been informed by the township office that you may only have a farm animal aka chickens if you have 5 acres or more. If you want to join me in fighting city hall for our right to farm please email me :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by