I live in Western Australia

rabrag

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 26, 2009
I live in the hills outside Perth, in Western Australia. I have a mixed flock of 14 hens at the moment though I will be getting more, and they were chosen to be a rainbow of colour and silly-looking. Well, how much more "silly" can a hen look than a silkie, with that tuft of "hair" falling over her face? They live in a big run but free range over my few acres for a few hours most afternoons. I have several silkies and pekins, also golden wyandotte, arukana, old English game hens and a wicked Indian game hen. I only have hens as I did not want to have to bother about a rooster, also because I did not necessarily want to raise chickens. I already breed Mini Lop rabbits and 3 breeds of cats (my main love there being the Ragdolls), plus have a baby female goat kid which I am hand-raising, so that is probably enough for the moment!

welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
Welcome from Oregon!!

welcome-byc.gif

Hi from Maine.
Love the Ragdolls. I have one that I got from a shelter along with his Siamese sidekick. They were turned in because the family had a baby. Grrrrr. Some people just shouldn't own animals. Also love Silkies and have two goats that I sort of adopted since my friend lost her house in foreclosure and the goats were homeless.

Thanks for your welcome folks, this was nice to wake up to this morning.

Widget, I agree with you that some people should not be allowed to have animals. What sort of reason was that for dumping a cat? Nevertheless, both you and especially the cat gained! What breed are your 2 goats? Mine is Boer and is only 5 weeks old,rejected by her Mum as she then had crooked legs but is great now. I love watching her and my hens wandering around together.

Tibanks, I can see how friendly this group is, which was a trigger to joining. I read quite a bit here before joining, and one very long thread in particular really impressed me and now this rapid welcome does too. I am looking forward to learning more about my hens (I have had them for 3.5 years) and simply enjoying myself with such a friendly helpful mob!

Quote:
Till recently I also had a young hand-raised euro, which is a type of small kangaroo. He was great to have around! I live on a few acres which back onto a national park (all bush/forest) and my euro used to be free to go off for walks in the bush but spent about 3/4 of his time here. One day he just did not come back. There are no natural predators here, and no wild dogs etc in the area, I think he probably just wandered into someone else's place and they kept him. I really miss him, and he was a very unusual companion to have. He too used to just fit in with my other animals and hens.

Back
Top Bottom