I looked inside my first bird today..

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by smom1976, Nov 23, 2008.

1. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    we looked inside one of my birds that died last night so see why..

my husband skinned her and "tore" her all the way down exposing the breast and such..

I thought I handled myself well.. I didnt think I would be able to but I did..

One small little baby step closer to meat birds.

2. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Way to go! [​IMG] Won't be long now! [​IMG]

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Bless your heart. I have processed deer, meat birds, and partridge, I do not believe that opening up your layer is anything in comparison to meat birds. You did exceptional, pat yourself on the back!!!
    Most meat birds are younger then your layers and you get attached (or I do) to them. Did you find anything wrong after opened up?

4. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Congratulations on taking that huge first step! I think I understand the feeling... I've never wanted to hunt or even see what DH brings home. Recently I've watched, and helped him, process a deer and a turkey, trying to prep myself for doing the meaties we have on order now.

5. smom1976

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
  6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It won't ever be easy to dispatch the birds. Cleaning will get easier over time.

7. smom1976

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    Quote:really I just read your turkey thread.. tell me what you were going through when you "disbatched" them.

The cleaning I think I could handle.. I told my DH that he needs to shoot a wild turkey for next year.. that way it isnt my "pet"

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:Taking a life is never easy. Rooster, turkey, rabbit, lambs. Not easy.

I raised the turkeys from day 1. I respected them. I treated them well. I took their life for my own sustainability. The are here for a purpose and I never take it for granted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by