1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I looked over the threads first so Here are my questions.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LavanderSplash, Jan 7, 2013.

1. LavanderSplash

LavanderSplash Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Please understand I an NEW to this lol and 31 years old, Not a kid, even if I say it stupidly lol

1: Do hens grow faster than roos?
    2. What is with my roo (rooster) wanting to perch on my shoulder?... constantly and then sneaks off to my head?
    3. Silkies mature at what age?
    5. When should I expect the might be male to start crowing? lol
    6: obsessive speed preening my hair? What the fosh?!
    7. Do females dominate males as my female seems to fly up and at my male for no reason?
    8: Awkward chirble and chirping patterns... anybody speak peep? lol

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

it is common for female chicks to feather out faster than males, as well as getting to their final weight more quickly. 2) some birds are really friendly, and people happen to make a great perch! 3) silkies mature very slowly. usually don't start laying or crowing until over 8 months. 4) it depends on the individual rooster. some start crowing at eight weeks, others wait till sixteen- twenty weeks. 5) people's hair seems to attract chickens.... I have no idea why. 6) usually the males are dominate, but it might take a while for them to get mature enough to be highest on the pecking order. 8) most noises have certain meaning, slow, low clucks usually mean danger. but when a chicken is happy it just incessantly chirps and clucks. some are louder than others. hope this helps!

3. LavanderSplash

Jan 7, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Yup it did.. I never knew chickens were shoulder birds lol. My two are comfy and falling asleep on my shoulder... I get the occasional "Oh! a freckle!" peck at times or the "sky is falling lets panic and fuss under moms hair" thing. My male Tamatama loves to come out and perch with me, his sister, wants to but the big scary hand is a no no lol. 30 seconds latter they are all chirbling and sleeping on my shoulder. lol. I take I will have them flying to my shoulder at hte sight of me when they grow up. lol

4. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

that's cute =)

5. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    First off [​IMG]

I will try to tackle some of your questions

1: Do hens grow faster than roos?

In my experience they both seem to grow at the same rate. Certain breeds/ strains might grow quicker but overall, and with good nutrition, both sexes grow about the same rate.

2. What is with my roo (rooster) wanting to perch on my shoulder?... constantly and then sneaks off to my head?

Young friendly chickens love to hop up on a shoulder. I have a few adults that love to do this as well. Also, a bird naturally wants to be as high as it can be so sneaking up to your head seems good to the bird, lol.

3. Silkies mature at what age?

Silkies seem to take forever to mature and they tend to hide their sex for a much longer time than most. They will keep you guessing until they crow or lay an egg.

5. When should I expect the might be male to start crowing? lol

Crowing is very individual to the bird. I have had boys crow at 3 weeks old and some not crow until a year old or longer. The majority start at a few months old though.

6: obsessive speed preening my hair? What the fosh?!

This question I'm not sure about??? I have never had a chicken try to preen my hair. I have parrots that will preen my hair forever but my chickens could care less how my hair looks, lol.

7. Do females dominate males as my female seems to fly up and at my male for no reason?

Unfortunately in the chicken world males dominate the females (just the chicken world though [​IMG]) The girls usually follow the boys around eating treats and the girls are usually submissive to them. Are your chickens young? Usually both boys and girls will play and spar together when young. If they are older and you are observing this behavior I would question the sex of the bird. It could be possible though that you do just have a very dominate hen. And an older hen may dominate a young roo- but not for long.

8: Awkward chirble and chirping patterns... anybody speak peep? lol

Sorry, I can't speak peep. I am very good at speaking Binky though [​IMG]

Trish

6. LavanderSplash

Jan 7, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    lo That helped too Trish. Speaking Binky? As in kid or something else? lol. No seriously mine preen my hair lol. I know birds like high places but chickens? They are ground runners, not much into flying and not climbers, however strangely they have more balance than my cockatiels and are less spooked about things then they are, unless its my hand lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by