I lost 2 birds in 2 nights!! *EVIDENCE PICS >>NEW DEVELOPMENT!!!

Luna9

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Im kind of a little upset right now. The night before last I thought that I had lost a hen but I couldnt really be to sure. There were some feathers but not a lot and I knew that 2 of my hens had been arguing some but always split and went their own ways, never being in the same place at once (which is why it was hard to know if she was off somewhere or gone). Well this morning its confirmed she is gone as well as my favorite hen!!
sad.png
The hen that Im kind of upset about would let my 2 year old son do what ever he wanted to her. He could run up to her (literally) and pet her anytime that he wanted to. She was a neat hen and Im a little sad shes gone now...my son hasnt been outside yet but I know hes going to notice cause he always ran up to her first thing when he was outside. Now to try and explain to a 2 year old that his hen is dead...
sad.png

Im not really sure if its the owls that we have nesting near by (though I havent heard them in a long while) or if its from a coyote...my guess is honestly on the coyote because these hens were full grown adult RIR and a Golden Comet and to big imo to be carried off by an owl. I cant find a body or blood or anything though...just a mass of feathers from the hen I lost last night (the favorite) and it looks like she put up one hell of a fight too.

Ive had chickens in this house for 2 years and have yet to loose one to a predator...it kinda sucks...

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss. I had chickens for 2 years before I had a predator loss. Once the predators find you, they will keep returning unless you lock the hens down at night.

My daughter was 4 when we had to explain the "Circle of Life" to her. Your son is a bit young to understand, but maybe you can start explaining that chickens are everyone's favorite meals and a mother predator had to feed her hungry babies. Your chickens helped to save those babies from starving. It's not a great explanation, but at least it's the truth and a good start to understanding why we sometimes lose birds to predators. It will also pave the way to future, more in-depth discussions about life and death.

Good luck.

use a game cam to verify which predator you have and then use this board to get ideas on how to TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM!!! Make sure they are locked up at nightin a secure pen set out traps to trap and dispatch of your problem. some predators are a little larger and leave tracks so check the area and see if you see any. what ever you do, do it quick and good luck.

I fully plan on taking care of the problem TODAY.

Now that my kids are down for naps I was able to get out and really gather some evidence so I can try and figure out what the "problem" is that Im dealing with. My gut is saying stray dog, a fox or coyote from the looks of what I found. I check my coop DAILY for faults so all of this is new as of last night/today. (the last time I was out at the coop was about 8pm last night and I was out there again for a quick check around 6am)

Here is what I found...

the trail of feathers
sad.png

birds001.jpg

some dig marks
birds005.jpg

the feathers from the first hen
sad.png

birds007.jpg

another damage sight and dig marks
birds011.jpg

birds012.jpg

standing at the coop looking at the trail of feathers
birds013-1.jpg

marks in the grass at the end of the trail of feathers
birds018.jpg

Last edited:
My husband just got home from work and we went trekking a little ways into the woods and found K9 foot prints in the mud as well as a trail of feathers. We couldnt go very far in because of our kids and the mosquitos (there is a small creek in there) but we didnt find a body of either bird. It was for sure a K9 of some sort...and a rather large dog it seems too.

Looks like FOX to me also...am having a problem with one now. Previously gotten rid of the racoons and possums. Always something with the poor chickens. Mine are behind a fortress at night, Fox came shortly after daybreak. It also killed two of my darling ducks. :-(

Dogs usually don't eat the chicken, just maul it until it dies and go on to something else. You would probably find bodies if it were dogs. Just my opinion.

Coyote is also a good possibility. I've had chickens here 3 or 4 years and had the first coyote attack a couple of months or so ago. If you get a good footprint they are distinctively different from a dog. In our case we did get one, plus a neighbor happened to see them -- too far away to do anything. Trails of feathers, a pile of feathers for the roo, 2 disappeared entirely, one with head only eaten, one dead with no visible injury. Plus an injured one who has recovered though it took her a month -- internal injuries mostly.

When I've known for sure it was fox, the bird has disappeared except for a pile or trail of feathers.

All I found was a trail of feathers after the fox got my ducks, so I am thinking fox as well! Be wary he will be back for more!

Back
Top Bottom