I lost 27 quails :hit

amosygal

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
I had 40 almost four week old quails, they were fully feathered so I took them out to the coop. I have chickens, turkeys, ducks geese and guinea fowls all living together. I never had any problem. I took out the quails and when I checked on them I saw a turkey hen killing one, I shooed her away, and then I saw the coop was full of dead quails
hit.gif
. I saved 9 quails and found 2 more out of the coop. there should still be few walking around or dead somewhere in my backyard. It's so depressing, never had any problem with them all together, but this is the first time I'm bringing in quails.

So sorry to hear of your loss of quail. What kind did you have?
I hatched a turkey with a few shipped quail eggs & they were great with each other.
One quail would roost on the turkey's back at night and the others on either side.
Guess it is jsut who they were raised with.

Good luck with the others that survived.

Quote:
Bronze turkey with coturnix quials. I might have introduced too many at one shot. I'm growing the quails separately now, I read that the quails can catch a diseases from the chickens, so they might be better raised separately.

omg that is so sad! I feel for you. It hurts when something you've been working on SO hard goes down in flames
hugs.gif

Best of luck, amosygal!

Yeah, I've never heard of success in throwing something so small as a quail in with something so large as a turkey... if they weren't raised together, any larger bird will kill a quail.
sad.png

BigDaddy'sGurl :

Yeah, I've never heard of success in throwing something so small as a quail in with something so large as a turkey... if they weren't raised together, any larger bird will kill a quail.
sad.png

I added chicken chicks several times having no problem. I also watched the quails for a while before I left - everything seemed ok. When I shooed the turkey out of the coop (when I saw her killing the quails) she looked at me saying "what do you want, there nothing wrong in killing these annoying creators..." Thanks all for the empathy.​

Back
Top Bottom