I Lost 4 of My Girls Today

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Gracefulspice, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    I read the posts about all the other losses today. I am so sorry for your losses and I am in the same situation. I lost 4 of my 6 hens. I come home from work to find a dog chaseing one of the 2 hens that escaped. I called to the dog and it came right to me. I threw the dog in a shed and called the police. They asked if I knew what kind of dog it was. I said yes and they put me on hold for what seemed forever. The owner reported the dog missing that morning. And the police where on there way over with the owner to get the dog. Personally I wanted it destroyed. I heard many times in BYC that a dog will come back again if on the loose. I never got to speak to the owner, but the police said she felt horrible. I would hope so!!! She wrote me a check for the 4 hens and drove away with HER DOG! And here I'm left with 4 dead pets, a horrible mess to clean up. Not to mention I now had to explain to my 4 yr old daughter that we now only have 2 hens.
    I thought for sure the run was secure. The animal managed to break away a small area of fencing that was attached to the coop. Squished itself through a 2 foot by 4" gap it created and proceeded to go about destroying my girls. It did not try to eat any of them. This was a game for this dog, and my hens were it's toy. It even managend to get into the coop door my girls use that is 1' X 1'. My girls bairley fit through this. And this dog was approx. 60 to 70lbs.
    I did find my other 2 girls honkered down in long grasses. As many times as I called they didn't come. We had to search. When I did find them they did'nt move at all even thought I was standing right there talking to them. So for those that loose a bird you can't find because of a horrific event you need to look very close. I barely saw them and lucky I did.
    My husband and I decided to get more girls, but we are placing up a electric fence first that will zap the HE#% out of anything else that even thinks of getting near them.
    The other hard part is I am a Pet Groomer...I have to work tomarrow.......HOW!!! I'm so upset by this I can't stop crying and at this point I don't want to look at any dog. Let alone touch one and make it look pretty.

2. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you are feeling. If you are putting up electric fence, make sure it is low enough that anything can't just duck under it without getting zapped. My dog goes under our fence and the first strand is about a foot and a half high off the ground(my dog is a big doggie, don't know how he doesn't get zapped, and the fencing is for our horses.) Once again, our thoughts are with you.[​IMG]

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I can imagine how hard this must be for you....but you have to keep telling yourself that its just what some dogs do. focus all this energy on fixing the coop in memory or the birds you lost. I had one get through the 1x3 wire of the coop. There must have been one spot where the wire was bent because it was trying to go back in the same way and would not fit. I thought it was going to rip its own wings off trying. I would never have thought one would ever have gotten out. I read all the posts here about losses and fear having it happen.....but chickens are so vulnerable and there are so many predators that it can happen to any of us at any time. Keep your chin up.......your 4 yr old might be able to show you how (kids are usually better at this stuff). Good luck [​IMG]

4. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    I feel for you I really do. Just remember tomorrow that the dogs you are grooming are loved dogs that would never hurt your chickens because hopefully they are better watched and taken care of. [​IMG]

5. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    I can tell you that I understand EXACTLY how you feel. My OWN dog killed one of my babies (only 5 weeks old) just a couple days ago. I still can hardly look at him, let alone touch him or enjoy having him around like I used to. It will take time. I guess I am holding such a grudge because I feel the whole thing was my fault and preventable, and that makes it even worse. I'm not so much mad at HIM, but I am seriously upset with myself. [​IMG]

I feel for your losses. I hope that the dog owner realizes what could happen next time (should the dog return to your property again) and I hope YOU realize that you do have rights, and you have every right to lock up, ship off, or even shoot to kill a loose animal on your property. Wether its a fox, or someone's dog. I hope your new zappy fence works for you and that you are able to find some joy in any new gals you may give a home to. GL

6. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    Thanks for your condolances. I think I got about 3 hours of sleep last night. Why does ones mind continue to go through a play-back of a horrible event? I can't remember any dreams I had. I think once I fell asleep my mind completley shut down. I awoke this morning at 5 with my eyes so swollen from crying I can barley open them.
    My daughter actually took it very well. I did tell her about the 4 hens passing. But I didn't feel she needed to know the gory details. I just said to her that they died and we wouldn't see them again. I guess kids are pretty resiliant, she only asked to have more girls.
    My 2 girls that escaped the mayhem are very scared and wary of any little sound and movement. I feel so bad for them thinking of what they may have seen their fellow friends go through. I just want to sit with them all day and snuggle them.
    I do have the address of the dog owner. I am going to wright her a letter and make sure it hit's home with her. I'm even going to invite her to visit BYC and ask her to do a search on dogs and how distructive they can be to someone beloved chickens. She needs to understand that her dog will continue to do this if allowed to become unleashed. She quite lucky I found the dog, because I know if my husband was home he would have shot it. He actually yelled at me for not shooting it. But at the moment I truly didn't know what to do. I guess that's why I called the police.
    And as for working today.....I think I will call all my appts. and reset for another day. I just can't bring myself to go in and have to be kind to another dog today. Mabey tomarrow things will be a little better.

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm so sorry for you losses...
    I think that I would've had the woman come over and pick up all the destruction that HER dog caused...but then again I am a 13itch;)
    I hope you took some nice 8X10 glossies to show her...
    At the very least, my dog attack had a happier ending. We found Obelisk after an hour of searching. She was rumpled and scared but okay.
    I've noticed that if a hen just stays put, that the dog will not notice them, but if it runs away, he'll chase it...Especially a hunting dog, like a GSP. Buddy never chased Slifer because she'd stand still and baGawk! but Obelisk would take off and he'd chase her...

8. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    I am so sorry. And glad you at least found your other 2. I had the same thing happen when a hawk got one of mine. Boy they scatter and hide. Right in front of you and you don't see them. So if something happens don't give up keep looking and calling them. Again SO SORRY. [​IMG]

9. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Personally I have never had one of my pets killed by dogs. I can imagine the lost one can feel over having losing an animal that they have lovingly raised. I feel there is different scenarios to these situations. 1. there is the owner that has a pet break free, sometimes it happens. and 2. the owners that dilibertly let their pets run loose without a care. I would also have the owner pay for the repair for the coop. I would believe enforcing a leash law in the country would be tough. I don't think shooting the dog would make any matters better.

10. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Oh, I'm sorry...
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by