I lost 5 birds today to my neighbors puppy :-( I'm heartbroken - one hen in intensive care

vwright0401

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 26, 2012
My husband works nights so is home during the day and lets our laying hens and bantam flock free range in our yard and the corn fields during the day, our neighbors have a fenced yard and have a 6 month old lab puppy that they also keep inside a 6 foot kennel fence. That puppy has gotten out of that kennel, over the top, under the bottom, every way you can imagine. He's been over here and played with our dogs and never paid much attention to the chickens. We have 3 big dogs, 1 yellow lab and 2 standard poodles who have no interest in the chickens at all, my big male poodle will lay in the grass next to the chickens and they act like they don't even see each other... Today the puppy got out, and my dogs were in the house, my husband looked in the back yard and the puppy was out there with a chicken in his mouth. My husband ran out to get him but he had already killed 2 americana hens, a barred rock hen, my frizzle bantam cochin and my splash bantam cochin rooster, I was hoping to breed those 2 in the spring. I have a gorgeous phoenix hen who's still alive but not moving much, she's in intensive care in my laundry room but I'm afraid she has some broken bones she's a tiny little girl... :-(

I'm so sorry.
hugs.gif

Sorry for the loss.Should have had a talk with your neighbors when the dog was over playing with yours.I'd hate to have the talk now,but it must be done.They must secure the dog,and you do the same for the chickens.Next time the pup comes in the yard you rehome it or kill it.It is that or live with the BS.Good luck,and again sorry for your loss.

Sorry for the loss. Talk to the neighbors, find out what your local laws are. Your neighbors need to be willing to stop this behavior now or it will continue. Obviously if the puppy keeps getting out, they are not doing enough to contain it.

I will do just about anything in order to protect my birds but I do think that people should be given a chance to fix the problem.

Due to the fact that you lost breeding birds, I would also ask for reimbursement including replacement and cost of raising. That will not bring back your birds but may make them realize that they need to act.

I would also not allow your birds to range unsupervised until the neighbors say they are fixing the problem.

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom