I lost a baby to the cold :(

jenlynn4

Songster
13 Years
Jan 12, 2007
PA
Last week we had a cold snap and I lost a youngster that was out in my grow pen. I have 2 heat lamps on them, but this little one must have gotten pushed aside. Now we are expecting temps to be highs in the 20's! I wont make that mistake again! I just went and bought a huge plastic tub and placed it in my spare bathroom tub. Looks like I will have teens in my bathroom again this year! LOL So please learn from my mistake and bring thoes little ones in if it gets bitter cold! I wouldnt want anyone else to feel as bad as I did.
sad.png

That's so sad. I've been wondering about the cold we've been having, but from what I understand when they are older and all grouped together they can handle some low temps. Plus, most of my girls are good cold weather birds from what I've read.

I agree shari. the weather has been so wierd. they dont get a chance to get use to the cold when its in the 50's one day and then the teens the next few and then right back up to the 50's! its been so wierd this year.

That is sad. I've been wanting to put my babies out, but I haven't.... 'cos its been cold.

They are pooping alot & stinky, but I'd rather have them safe. I have them in a refridgerator box with a light, downstairs.

We live in Florida and I bring the mother & eggs in just before hatching. My spare bathroom always has a big plastic box with a Mama & chick(s) in it! I'm not so worried about the cold but that the other chickens might stomp on the babies. Probably a good idea to bring them in. You can air out the room if necessary, but I find cleaning them every day keeps the odor down. I also keep the window open a crack.

Back
Top Bottom