I lost a baby........ :-(

justduckie

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
I got home this afternoon and one of my white crested polish babies was laying in the waterer, dead.
sad.png
I had 15 chicks that are 6 days old. I don't know if she had gotten caught under the other chicks when they were drinking or if something else happened. I just have a small water and I didn't think they could drown in it because it's not deep! She was looking really good last night when I changed out the bedding and did my nightly water and food. All the other chicks look good and I haven't had any problems with this bunch at all.

It just makes me so sad because she was so cute. My son calls the polish chicks the "Eighties Chicks" because he says they look like they are an Eighties Big Hair Band......Now I only have one Polish left.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

They can manage to drown in 1/4 inch of water! Put marbles or pebbles in it so they can just sip between them until they get a few weeks old.

Oh, it's so sad.
Out of the last brood, I've lost three Amerucanas and a mystery chick. The Amerucanas were smoothered and the last one was today - I just had a feeling and was monitoring closely, but not close enough. Cute little thing was just flattened between a few of the remaining eggs (all of which have now been placed under another broody hen).
But the worst one was right in the beginning, when eggs started hatching five days early. I had left a pickle jar in the brooder, for the hens. I still haven't a clue how, but two chicks got in. One drown, but the other one was miraculously breathing. Popped it in front of the heater lamp while I dumped out the other one and the water, then ran it inside and gave it a blow dry, some Polyvisol and popped in under a calm sitting hen. A week later I haven't a clue which one it was.

Terribly sorry. I just got my first little ones and could not imagine losing one so suddenly.

Hope the other ones keep on growing like weeds!

So Sorry!
hit.gif

Try the marbles, esp if you are using a dish, they actually help! I use the quart jar with the screw on bottom and only a tiny amount of water comes out as they drink. You can get these at the feed store. Try not to feel bad. We learn so much as we go and thank goodness we have this sight to guide us along!

Back
Top Bottom