1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I lost a baby =(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mama2B&D&...Chickens, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    There were i thought 4 def...maybe 5 i saw yesterday under momma (still apparently sitting on some she's determined with) and we checked on them at 12 am, they were all quiet/sleeping and this am when i woke up one was in front of her a little cold and dead. [​IMG] they are in our outside coop but we have a brooder light in there and momma but i dont know if (there's a little lip on the box) it wondered off a tad and couldnt get back up but now i feel HORRIBLE. I know its my fault. [​IMG] [​IMG]

and STILL she hasn't gotten up (1st cheepage I heard was not last night but the night before and saw some hatched and dried yesterday am so i guess she's just trying to give the other eggs a change? idk)...now im just worried about my others, and i can only see TWO...i am so worried about not seeing any others!

2. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the loss. I know how terrible it feels.

[​IMG] Hoping that the rest goes well for you.

3. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    Sorry to hear you lost one. Don't WORRY!!! Your Mama Hen knows EXACTLY what she's doing![​IMG] I would try to restrain yourself from lifting her up and checking on the babies as much as possible! Just remember that "Humidity Factor" if those other babies are going to hatch out they need to have Mama Hen sitting tight on them. I learned that lesson this summer when I checked under Mama hen 2-3 times a day while hatching and ended up loosing almost the entire hatch b/c of my IGNORANCE!!![​IMG] 9 out of 12 of the babies dies b/c of trouble getting out of the eggs! The other babies that have already hatched will be just fine for up to 36 hours without food or water(remember that's how they ship baby chicks from hatcheries) and it's nature's way of giving them enough time to learn to forage with Mama. I usually just remove any broken egg shells but leave whole eggs under Mama for quite a few days after the chicks hatch. Once this summer, it had been several days since the first chicks hatched and I knew that the rest of the eggs in there "Just had to be dudds"!!! Well, it slipped my mind that day to go and collect the "Dudds" and chuck them...the next morning!!! To my SURPRISE...there was Mama Hen with a few more babies!!! Late Hatchers![​IMG] Oh my goodness! I learned my lesson to never say never unless those eggs are REALLY REALLY OLD![​IMG] I'll keep hopin for ya that you get a couple more baby cheaps![​IMG]

4. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    Thanks so much...its an aweful feeling b/c that baby wasnt too far gone [​IMG] I tried warming it for awhile, feeling for a heartbeat and nothing [​IMG] it looked perfectly fine too...i just dont get it. She's still sitting on 2 now that i know of and I went out and counted FIVE babies [​IMG] some must have been hiding...

I haven't lifted her up bc of the humidity factor at all...just sat and patiently waited till she moved herself and fluffed her feathers--I counted them b/c they would all come peaking out of her [​IMG] ((the cutest thing on earth close to my own babies)) OR when they all tried to go back in at the same time and she had to lift up a litte. Hopefully those other 2 will hatch soon so i can RELAX a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by