i lost a chicken

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by halfwaynowhere, Jul 23, 2008.

1. halfwaynowhere

halfwaynowhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    La Puente, CA
    This morning we let the girls out of their small makeshift coop, into the side yard that we gated off for them. I clipped their wings, and thought they couldn't fly. We are planning on covering that side with shade cloth, as well, and I was waiting until that was done before letting them out, but my mom decided to let them out early. Now my leghorn girl has flown the coop, so to speak. I can't find her anywhere! She's not in my yard, and not in my next door neighbor's yard. So that makes me think she got into the front, and then out to the street. She's my shy girl, she didn't even like leaving her nest box to get food, she would just sort of poke her neck out... She was always hiding. And now I can't find her, and I'm freaking out. I'm the only one home right now to look for her, I won't let the dogs outside in fear that she's still in the yard and they might find her and eat her... I don't know what else to do... I know a few blocks away there are people who raise chickens for food, and if they find her, she'll be dinner. Even if they don't, a stray dog or cat might... I fear she might be gone for good, which brings me down to just two... any ideas on tracking down a lost hen?

2. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Not really........sure hope she finds her way back to you, though.[​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Most hens will come home to roost. Just go inside, and watch from a window near dusk, she may return provided she can fly back over where ever she few out of.

4. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    So sorry! She might be hiding somewhere under bushes or a porch, etc. Hopefully she'll find her way back tomorrow morning. Make sure you look under everything....if she's that shy, she might have found a good hiding spot.

5. halfwaynowhere

halfwaynowhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    La Puente, CA
    thanks for the input. I found her, back where she always hides. Not sure where she was, I had checked that whole side yard several times, every nook and cranny, and she was nowhere to be seen. But she's there now... I closed them back in the small coop for now, we'll have to work something out in the morning... She might have gotten out and came back, although I'm not sure how... Had me really scared, though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by