I Lost A Girl :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I feel like such a "fishturd" right now...
    I have been locking the babies up every night since they've been free ranging during the day and last night i wasn't feeling good so i just checked on them, they were sleeping next to the house. I figured they would be fine so i left them. i just didn't have the energy to herd them into the pen & i had already fed them so the bucket wouldnt work.

I had to leave this morning to meet someone to pick up 2 Khaki babies they needed rid of "ASAP", but i checked on them before i left..the adults had showed them where the creek was this morning [​IMG] . but they weren't going in all the way, just to the egde. I got a couple pics of their first creek visit and went back to the hosue and left to get the babies. when i came home i checked on everyone and noticed one of my Rouen/Pekin girls was missing. i immediately got the rest into the duck pen and searched high and low for her, EVERYWHERE. i couldn't even find feathers, i have no idea what happened to her. This is the second time i have had 1 disappear this way, just vanish, i have NO idea what it is taking them.

Hawks/Eagles/Owl leave big patches of feathers
    Coyotes leave trails..

This THING leaves Nothing!! It happens at night each time but i'm clueless. if i knew what it was at least i could try to prevent this from happening again, I am just devistated, I was getting really attached to these girls. [​IMG]

2. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I am so sorry. [​IMG]

3. neverbdone

neverbdone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    I'm so sorry. It is always terrible to lose any of our babies. I don't know where you live or what your predators are, but I can tell you a bobcat doesn't leave anything. They can take a full grown hen on the run and never slow down. I hope you find her hiding somewhere.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Could a large snapper turtle be getting them on the water??

5. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Sorry for your loss.

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

We don't have turtles here. we have big cats but they RARELY come around this side of town(too much housing being built). I think the water critters we have are Muskrats & weasels, but i am not exactly sure.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Any foxes?

8. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

no foxes here

9. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    What about a snake?

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:ummmm yes you do have them there. I have friends there that have killed several...fisher cat, mink and weasels there too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by