I lost a great customer today :(

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MeatKing, Nov 4, 2011.

1. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

So as many of you know, I run a house cleaning company. Been cleaning her for about 10 years, her hubby was out've work for almost a year. He no sooner found work, then she lost her job [​IMG]
    She still kept us on, knowing that she will find a job again soon. Well she found a job, but it pays less then half of her old salary.. Well today they made there first budget ever and they has to trim their selves down. She said, they got into a hole and they need to get out etc. Their house is worth over 500k, so I couldn't even imagine their morgage.
    So needless to say, we've become friends, were of like minds, are kids are close in age, we both have big dogs etc.

So my question is, as a house cleaner. I could tell her/show her how to clean her house so life would be soo much better for her. You know all the little tricks to make it efficant and easy.. She told me when she gets back on her feet, were the first extra she's putting back in. (I will always make room for her, cause she really is a great client) She was crying when she let me go, cause she knows times are a tight..

If I give her all my tricks, she may know how easy it is, and never call us back... With that being said, I like her so much. Why not tell her.. I want to put together a little care package, of the must use sponges/rags. To make her life easier.. But then that is really bad bussiness and in times like these. I need all the money I can get too.. But I like her so much, I'm so torn! She is the type of client who in 10 years has never complained, only praised and said thank-you, bought us coffee's etc. She just that kind've person!!
    Would you take the chance in loseing her forever to tell her, the tricks of the trade.. I think I know the anserew, I will..
    But tell me what you think.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I think that you already know what to do. [​IMG]

3. MamaRoo

MamaRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    A ferry ride away, WA
    I don't care how easy it is, if I had any other option I wouldn't be cleaning my own house.

It could be years before they're back on their feet...

4. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Tell her your tricks.

Chances are she could: 1) hire you back when things are going better 2) refer you to another friend of hers, thereby keeping your good name going

Also, it's just good karma. You've made friends with her and you should be nice to your friends.

There are always more cleaning clients, friends can be hard to come by and you may need something from her one day.

[​IMG]

5. CheekyMare

CheekyMare Chillin' With My Peeps

Give her the tips and tricks. A job you hate is never easy. She'll likely be grateful and almost certainly be back when she can. I can clean a house too, and I'm pretty darn efficient but I will go without a lot before I'd go without my housecleaner. I despise housework with a passion that's difficult to describe. Just give me a dirty horse stall or something fun.

6. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    There are people who like to clean houses and people who will do anything not to clean a house even if they know how. She will appreciate the tricks, but won't like doing it anymore than she does now so she will have you back as soon as she can afford it.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    It wouldnt even be a question in my mind. If she is a friend and been loyal to you all those years, i would expect you could/should do the same for her and help her out with some little cleaning tips.

8. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Quote:Yep.

9. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    Quote:x2

I would love to be able to bring the person that cleaned my house back. I really hate cleaning mirrors and ceiling fans.

10. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    If you really think your business is successful because only you know how to clean a house efficiently you have much bigger business problems than whether or not this one client comes back in the long run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by