I lost a hen ... And don't know why ;(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BarredRockGirls, Aug 10, 2013.

1. BarredRockGirls

BarredRockGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    Question 1
    From another forum-
    "Try dying their vents with different colored food coloring : )"

Does that really work? I'd love to know . I have 8 laying outta 13 as of today - we found one hen laying DOA under the coop in the shade tonight when we went out to make sure they were all in for the night .. [​IMG][​IMG] she wasn't hurt from the outside it seemed ? It just looked like she was takin a nap? Idk what happened?! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] they were all fine all day too . Does that just happen??
    ... so anyways now were down to 13 ;( and I'd love to know whoooooo exactly is laying . They are all identical ..

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I've had that happen twice over the years - having a seemingly happy and healthy hen - eating and drinking in the afternoon...dead as a doornail later that evening. Wasn't eggbound, no sign of injury...just dead. [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've also had hens just dead on and off over the years. Fine one check, stiff the next. It's just something that happens, if there was no sign of illness I don't do anything different, just accept it as one of those things.

4. FLSwampStomer

FLSwampStomer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    sorry to hear that.

I'd do a necrotomy; check the heart, intestines, and other vitals to find out if it might be a parasitic infection or something that could be a concern to the other birds.

5. BarredRockGirls

BarredRockGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    Thanks guys . I just hate that idk why ya know . [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by