I lost a hen...purple comb and waddles??

justusnak

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Feb 28, 2007
South Eastern Indiana
I lost a hen this afternoon....to what I am assuming was the heat.? She was fine this morning, and was in the nest box, she even layed an egg....but when she hopped down, she collapsed...her comb and wadles ...purple then passed away. It has been extremely hot here, and high humidity. I have fans on them.....cool water with electrolytes....cool fresh fruit and veggies treats in the evening...and puddles to wade in. I really dont know about her poo, she is one of my 13 free range chickens. Does this sound like heat related??

Low 100's today...and again tomorrow. I just dont know what else I can do for them, short of bringing 60 plus chickens 2 turkeys, and a duck, in the basement...in the family room. Ohhh, DH wont have that!! LOL All we can do is pray for a break from this rediculous heat wave!

Sorry about the hen.
sad.png

I have to agree justusnak we have the same heat. I have a 5 gallon waterer that I placed a few 1 liter bottles of ice in to help keep the water cold or at least cool. I have to water the chickens and the dogs about 3 times a day.

My poor dogs the flies are driving them nuts eating at there ears. I have swat on them but geeeesh.

Back
Top Bottom