I lost a pullet to the weather.......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mother hen to many!, Dec 28, 2008.

1. mother hen to many!

mother hen to many! Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2008
    Claypool, In
    The weather got really bad here in northern Indiana. I thought she would be better off in the gradge. Then we lost Electricity and she froze in my gradge. I am so upset!

2. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Did she die just of cold? or did she get sick as a result of being chilled? I'm sorry! [​IMG]

3. mother hen to many!

Nov 3, 2008
    Claypool, In
    No... She froze solid. I am so glad I didn't see her. My hubby did and took care of her. I would have lost it and balled my eyes out if I saw her.

4. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] So sorry to hear you lost your hen. [​IMG] Were you without power through that horrid sub 0 weather? How did your other chickens get along? I know dh and I are rethinking alternative heating ideas after that bout of bad weather. It was the worst ice + cold that we've seen in the nine years we've been here. Brrr! Again, sorry you lost your baby. Hopefully, we won't be seeing any more of that this winter.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sorry for your loss. Perhaps she died of other reasons and just froze because she was cold. A point of lay pullet is anothe risk point in life for mysterious deaths.

6. mother hen to many!

Nov 3, 2008
    Claypool, In
    My other chickens did great. They stayed in their coops. I was scared for them. But the only thing that happened to them is they stopped laying all together! The road I live on in Claypool was really iced over and not too many people could drive on it! I wish I could post pics of my coop frozen. But I cant.

7. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    How old was she? Sorry to hear you lost her.......[​IMG]

8. donnaIL

donnaIL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    SouthernIL
    Sorry for your loss, I lost one a couple weeks, frozen also, guess it happens more than we might think.

9. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Are your chickens separated from each other? They tend to keep each other warm. If you separated her and put her alone in the garage, then yes, I could see how she might not do as well as the others.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    What ebonykawai said. Also, just because she was frozen solid when you found her does not say anything at all about what she died of. Cold is hard on a chicken that's under the weather from *any* cause, and of course once one's dead it will freeze irrespective of cause of death.

Condolences and best wishes,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by