I lost a twicken last night - any ideas on why?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by xC0000005, Mar 9, 2012.

1. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    He would have been six weeks old tomorrow, was completely feathered, beautiful gold and brown (and nasty, nasty temper). He was (we think) the mystery chick from my McMurray hatchery brown egg layer assortment. I had them vaccinated for cocci and mareks, been feeding non medicated. I have them in a 8x6 greenhouse with pine shavings on the floor, and every night I check the feeder, clean the water, and clean the floor. I mention this because I do this for a reason - it makes sure that I can watch out for bloody stool or other signs of disease.

Last night was no different - I filled the feeder, cleaned the water, and put down fresh shavings. I think I SHOULD have known right then - this chick was famous for pecking. He'd cross the greenhouse just to peck you, and keep at it, but I cleaned the whole thing and he left me alone (he was drinking). This morning I heard a loud chirping and thought something was wrong, so I went out to the greenhouse.

First thing I noticed: huge bloody poo spot by the door, and another half way across near the water, and over in the chick pile, a dead chick. No obvious injuries, no signs of pecking, no obvious blood on his rear end, but there was a smear of blood on the cardboard which I use as a draft blocker. Two other chickens have blood on on their BACKs, just traces, and I think I've reconstructed what happened pretty well. First plop of blood is by the door, chick heads for chick pile, loses a second batch at the water, the trail from there shows he ran around the chick pile (they lay near the meaties because the meaties have a light) and hopped up on top of the others, getting pushed back against the cardboard. He died pretty much right there.

I was specifically LOOKING for something like this, and somehow missed it. On top of that I have one more that is acting lethargic. He's eating, drinking, and moving but not like the others (which act pretty much like normal chickens, running, flapping, eating, drinking). So I got 25 chicks, I have now lost two (one died a while back, no obvious symptoms, just a dead bird). I'm down to 23 with one I would mark as "questionable".

Should I have seen blood on the floor somewhere? He was acting fine night before last, and last night wasn't pecking or biting or flapping at me.
    Should I be worried for the other 23, or the meaties I'm raising?
    Is there some action I should take to ensure my meat birds and the other chicks are ok?

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    My only thought is cocci but since you had them vaccinated...then I'm clueless. This will bump you back to the top.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Your chicks have cocci. I would treat them ASAP. The vaccine only covers certain strains and there are 8 (0r 9, I forget) different strains. By the time you see bloody poops then there is significant damage done to the GI system, and it may already be too late for the weakest of them. A quick round of Sulmet or Corid should do the trick.

Good luck.

4. xC0000005

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    Thanks. I'll go by the feed store at lunch and pick it up, start them on it this afternoon. Sigh. I thought I was doing good with the non medicated food/vaccines.

5. klmclain1

Mar 14, 2011
    CMV...you are another of my gurus!

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Thanks! It's nice to be appreciated. Most of my friends think I'm more than a little nuts to be so into chickens. Of course, I think they are nuts for not being fascinated by chickens.

7. klmclain1

Mar 14, 2011
    Funny how attached we get to these creatures!

8. xC0000005

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    CMV, thank you for your assistance. My weak one died (as I thought it might). Everyone else I woke up to have a nice drink from the corid medicated water, and now only time will tell. Everyone else was up and moving around and doing the normal chicken thing, so I have hope for them. Next time I'll probably still get them vaccinated for Mareks, but skip the cocci. If it isn't going to do the job there's not much point.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Sorry for your losses. I hope there are no more lost.

Good luck with the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by