I lost all my flock last night!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by carrieschicks, Aug 26, 2013.

1. carrieschicks

carrieschicks New Egg

Mar 27, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    I've had my girls (8 of them) for 1 1/2 years and they were a big part of my life. This morning when I went out they were all dead. One girl was totally missing. All the others looked like they had just fallen over. There were feathers everywhere, but no blood. I can't find out where whatever got in. I looked all over to see if I could find tracks...feathers from Penny...or anything else, but it is just like she vanished. I am devastated!

2. sanmar4chickens

sanmar4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2013
    Texas
    So sorry

:-(

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sorry for your losses, devastating.

4. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    :-( so sad...I'm sorry that happened

5. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Wow how horrible, so sorry. The missing one may be alive and hiding somewhere and will come back when she feels its safe I would keep a eye out for her. Do you know any one with a game cam you can barrow or a live trap it might be back.

6. carrieschicks

carrieschicks New Egg

Mar 27, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Thank you. That is good advice.

7. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry to hear of this. [​IMG] It sounds very much like the work of our local coyotes.

ETA: I live in the center of town and have had attacks like this happen twice. The first time it happened two birds survived by flying over our walled yard and running down the road. Since I couldn't find any feathers from those two I searched the neighborhood carefully and I found them hiding in some weeds. It might be worth looking around tomorrow. The second time it happened, the coyote came over the wall in the middle of the day and snatched a hen right in front of me, less than 20' away. I did manage to get the coyote to drop the hen (and it survived), but there would not have been a feather lost and I would have never known if I hadn't witnessed it. Lots of other people in our neighborhood have similar stories.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  8. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    So sorry for you loss [​IMG] I hope your missing chicken comes back home.

9. iheartnh

iheartnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    Oh no! I am sorry for your loss. I hope you figure out the culprit, and your missing hen turns up uninjured.

10. Shawhee

Shawhee New Egg

Jan 21, 2010
    I am so sorry. I just had a similar thing happen to me last night :(. I just want to cry and shoot a dog today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by