I lost Henrietta last night !!! :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Pumpkinpup, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Something broke into my silver marans coop and killed my favorite hen. I knew when she did not greet me at the fence this morning that something was horribly wrong. She was a huge pet and demanded my full attention whenever I was near her coop. I am just broken hearted [​IMG] Whatever did this hollowed her out and left the carcass laying inside the henhouse. I am not sure what it could have been. Now I am terrified that it will be back for more!

RIP, Henrietta. You will be missed alot!
    [​IMG]

2. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry about your special girl. [​IMG] She was so pretty.

3. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Quote:Thank you. I am just so sick over this. I need to figure out some strategy to protect my little roo and other hen now as they are all I have left of that bloodline and I can't get any more! [​IMG]
    It's terrible that the one it got was the biggest pet I had. She was just so full of life and so friendly.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

5. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    OMG that is horrible! [​IMG] If it ate her insides, I would think Opossum. [​IMG] You're right, it will probably be back. Can you get ahold of any traps? That might help. Good luck finding where it got in at! It always seems to happen to the favorite ones, huh? [​IMG]

So sorry for your loss,

Shelly

6. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    I am so sorry for your loss, she was so beautiful. Sounds like a possum, they eat the insides.

7. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Thanks guys. I am thinking possum as well. It did not even bother to try and drag the body off and that is very much possum behavior. Most other preds try to drag it off to eat in seclusion where they are less likely to get caught. Possums are very brazen in their offense and don't seem to care much.

8. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

[​IMG] I'm so sorry sweetie [​IMG]

9. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Quote:
    "Something broke into my silver marans coop and killed my favorite hen. I knew when she did not greet me at the fence this morning that something was horribly wrong."

How horrible that must have been to come across poor Henrietta laying dead like that in the coop. From your post, it sounds like you leave the door open so they can come out in the morning? If that's the case, better lock 'em up at night so it doesn't happen again. So sorry for your loss.

Ellen

10. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    [​IMG] so sorry for the loss of your girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by