I lost my 1 year old giant baby Pekin last night to a predator and need some help/advice!

kbandlollipop

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Good afternoon. I woke up this morning and went out to feed my male Mallard and my giant female Pekin duck only to find my girl mutilated and left bloody in the corner of my yard with my poor boy swimming away in his pool looking so shocked, jaded, quiet, and sad. I can only imagine what he saw. The one night they weren't penned because it was glorious out yesterday and I'd spent hours with them letting them roam, get fresh water, eat veggies from the fridge - be spoiled. Both were brought home together, as just few day old babies and now I am torn as to what to do to make him happy again. I will be getting him another mate, but how? I need some advice on how to work in a friend for him as this is why I got two to begin with. I can't even begin to imagine my big baby is gone and she was the commander in charge, he was the follower so now he looks so lost and confused. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. It's such a gamble with breeds, sexes, etc. I know I definitely want another female Pekin, but is that what HE would want? Even as I type he is completely silent in the yard, they were always out there just gabbing away. HELP!! Thanks in advance.

Kally in Denver

And please keep in mind, I am DEVASTATED by the loss of my poor Mango, she ran this house. I just know in order for Dabby to he happy, he will need a mate. Mango herself; she is irreplaceable. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Take a look at the rehoming forum, and the Where Am I Where Are You Forum.

There is no way to be sure how they will hit it off, but if you introduce them slowly with supervision, it will likely work out.

And I expect you will be shoring up the security. Predators return. Is he in danger? Bring him inside if you must for a few days.

An unbreakable mirror might help a little.

Also look for hidden injuries near his vent, under his wings.

Last edited:
Dabby has always loved his mirror so thank you for the reminder on that, I immediately pulled it out from the bedroom and he hasn't left his own side since. I checked him for injuries and he looks fine and unscathed. He's such a lover, lets me pick him up and hug him just like she did, but she was a lot more bossy and acted more abrasive. He was the follower and now his queen is gone. Is it okay to get a duckling or should I try for a female more his age? I definitely want to have him a new friend asap..or at least work him onto accepting a new one one asap because he looks so alone. He was the more friendly docile one of the two so I wouldn't think he'd be a bully. However, they have mated since they were old enough to - and just with one another. I am just not sure what age, how soon, or if a baby is even okay since they will have to be inside warming for a bit and be apart consistently? The originals were handled a bunch and raised inside A LOT because they loved it, they cuddled and slept next to me in laundry baskets for weeks in the beginning and again full grown on cold nights. I feel so bad for him, they used to scream when separated...and now he is silent except for every now and then you can tell he figures out she's missing and calls for her. I hope I haven't ruined him because of my irresponsibility.

I would look for an adult who needs a home. There are FB pages for people with ducks, people who rescue ducks, there is Craigslist, there is the rehoming Forum here, and the Where Am I Where Are You forum.

I have been on the phone all morning and called 7 shelters and rehab centers and no girl ducks, not even ones younger - none. I would love to save one, but I can't seem to find any! But I know they're out there! The rehoming forum on here is not sortable by location or is that just me? And I can't see to find this Where Am I Where Are You forum? I am so sorry I am being so annoying. I just signed up to this site and am just trying to do what is best for my boy who I have left. I just adopted a kat over Christmas so I am all about helping animals in need, but I can't find any and mine is in need himself! I will keep hunting on this site for a female one year old that needs rehomed here in Denver on this site, but I sure haven't been able to find one yet. Thanks again for your response. - KB

And sorry if I am taking something personal that is not even necessarily being said, but I do not need nor want just a baby duck. I want what is best for my adult duck that I have had over a year and planned on having their whole lives, this was an accident. I also have a dog that is 10 and I have had her since 8 weeks, and as before mentioned I just adopted a cat. So I apologize if I have caused you to judge that I am not looking for an adult replacement, but needing a cute little furry baby is the last thing on my mind. I need what he needs and I know it is an adult and I wish I could save one and adopt, I just can't find one..I've searched Craigslist, Facebook, everything. Thank you for your references in the meantime and I of course welcome more.

Seems to me you are reading more into the situation than you might.

I think I understand you are looking for an adult female duck.

Soon, older ducks will start showing up at rescues and dumped in public parks. I wonder if that may turn out to be how you help an abandoned duck and your grieving drake?

I have called a dozen spots in the last couple days and a lot by reference and still no luck. So your suggestion is to wait you think? I would love to help another duck out rather than get a baby, he just seems upset as she was the dominating one while he was her follower. Its the season where the babies are available as to where no adult females are, but like you say "yet." If one can be found soon, I'd wait. I am just trying to figure out the best choice. Asking how introducing them should go amongst other things. I just thought they'd be life mates, I don't have nor want a flock. Just a couple or three if need to be to make them happy. I just am learning and asking in order to do what is best. Maybe I've read into their bond more so because they're my pets and it's only been them this whole time and I know how dependent he was on her, they did like most ducks do and screamed while they were apart..always wanted to be together. I don't want a baby, but a duck in two weeks that is dumped by a family because Easter has passed because they grow like weeds is not going to be his age either, it will have imprinted on another owner if even taken care of properly or spoiled like mine are. I'm just indecisive (and hating what I saw) so I want to give him the best recovery possible, including enforcing their enclosure, bringing him in at night as it will be back asap etc. I just need some advice about what my alternatives/options are.. Thanks for your help.

And I'm sorry if I come off rude. I am still bleh myself about the whole thing, I wish I didn't love meat so much because I hate hurt/pain coming to animals. Seeing her like that messed with me for a bit (it was Sunday) and seeing my other act so funny makes my feel bad. Cleaned out her pen today and had an early Easter egg hunt of her eggs she'd hide and gave them away, it sucked. It's just still rough and was "just a duck." But a duck with a lot of personality : )

I don't perceive you as rude, I perceive you as upset and worried and trying to do what you can from this point on.

Ducks have personalities and we cannot predict exactly how any relationship will work out. So there is some natural anxiety. When things don't fall quickly into place, we can choose to see that as a "yellow light," and just accept that perhaps everything is not quite in place yet.

Ducks do grieve. Do what you can for your guy. Talk to him about it. I think he will appreciate it. It took a bit of time to find friends for Romy, and it did not work out like I had hoped. But I do not regret bringing them into the flock, and I think it did help her, though not in the way I had planned.

Be flexible and forgive yourself. You have learned from the experience, and you can now offer your story to others, to try to help them.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom