1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I lost my Barbie last night, rip

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by jasonm11, Mar 11, 2011.

1. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Came home last night to find my younger BR hen dead. She has been acting kinda funny the last week, not roosting wiht the others. Lying around more often and slower to move away. I picked her up last night to listen to her breathing, I could not hear any rasping or wheezing. i put her down but did notice she was lighter than normal. My turkeys have no bugs that I can tell and i feed them flock starter with BOSS and scratch as treats. I noticed some dark green runny poo in the coop last night but nothing else. I'm kind of at a loss here, don't know what to do if anything for the rest of the flock. She was about 6-9 months old. i wil miss my little Barbie doll.
    [​IMG]

2. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    So sorry, you lost your beloved hen. Sometimes young hens die for no apparent reason. I have had point of lay hens that seemed perfectly healthy up and die.

[​IMG]

3. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    [​IMG]
    sorry about your loss.
    Hope the others stay healthy.

4. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:you and me both

5. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Jason, I was a bit distracted and didn't realize you were talking about your beautiful red TURKEY hen. She was beautiful, sorry for your loss.

6. Borncountry419

Borncountry419 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry to hear boyo! [​IMG]

7. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I am sorry... about all that you can do now is watch the others. Have they been wormed?

8. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Quote:Frosty, it is de wormed! If you worm them, then you give them worms! [​IMG] Just kidding with you. That's all I think about when I hear somebody say wormed. I work in animal health and one of my animal science teachers at Texas Tech was a veterinarian and would fail you if you said that you wormed something and I just think about his disease class everytime I hear wormed. I know that 9-10 people say it but it just makes me think of that everytime.

9. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Quote:Frosty, it is de wormed! If you worm them, then you give them worms! [​IMG] Just kidding with you. That's all I think about when I hear somebody say wormed. I work in animal health and one of my animal science teachers at Texas Tech was a veterinarian and would fail you if you said that you wormed something and I just think about his disease class everytime I hear wormed. I know that 9-10 people say it but it just makes me think of that everytime.

[​IMG] Tech-ni-calities! Ok, I'll try not to say that again... just for you! [​IMG] How about if I say 'have you given them any anthelmintic?'

10. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX

[​IMG] Tech-ni-calities! Ok, I'll try not to say that again... just for you! [​IMG] How about if I say 'have you given them any anthelmintic?'

Much better! lol I am in vet clinics every day all day and I even hear some vets say wormed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by