I lost my beautiful rooster :(

comp6512

Songster
11 Years
Dec 3, 2008
He was such a great guy! He was from my first batch of BO's and hens selected him from other roosters. When hens started laying he would spend hours with each hen, comforting her and finding her a nest. I kid you not, I saw it with my own eyes! After they layed for a couple of months, he started behaving like he wanted to sit on eggs, he would go into the nest box and shuffle there, and make this gargling sound... Felt like he really wanted to be a father. I lost him yesterday; a bob cat jumped in and killed him.
hit.gif

Point being, I have eggs fertilized by him in the fridge. Yesterday I ordered an incubator, and might get it within a week. How long do eggs stay viable in the fridge? I really really want to have his legacy. Please help.
hit.gif

Just found out today that you can keep eggs in the fridge!! Surely if you can keep them out at room temp for tenish days they would be alright in fridge too??
Sorry for your loss, sounds like he was a good one!

sorry for your loss. You can hatch fridge eggs to . i recommend taking them out tho. LEt them stay at room temperature for a while until you get your incubator but makesure put and x and O on each side if they re staying at room temp and turn every day until you can get youe incubator but then is basicaly the same process only it heats up.

There are a lot of plans on byc for a styrofoam incubator which i myself have had great succes with maybe you can make one and put them in before the new hatcher arrives .

hugs.gif
:/

Which eggs? The freshest ones? Or does it matter?

I can go to Tractor Supply tomorrow and get whatever incubator they sell there, or should I wait for my hova bator?

Room temperature here is about 80F.

HI,
I have not had the experience myself..but just read another thread where the person lost all 12 of her hens to a dog attack.
She had 38 eggs in the fridg,,pt them in the bater and 34 hatched. She did not mention how long they had been there.
I have also read in byc about folks hatching eggs purchased at Trader Joe's....who knows how long those eggs had been in the fridge.

Go for it and don't worry about the time thing...
Oh, If you have not done this before be sure to let your bater run,,,,,,I go 24 hrs.......to be sure it is holding the temp.....and purchase a hydrometer...................
GGOD LUCK

Back
Top Bottom