I lost my Dorking. Think she was an internal layer

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cicene mete, May 24, 2010.

1. cicene mete

cicene mete Songster

Jun 19, 2008
    My Dorking Penelope was about one-year-old. I don't think she ever laid an egg. Unfortunately, as the days have become longer, she started to become listless. She would lie down in a corner and was clearly beginning to waste away. She had a swollen area below the vent, which had all the symptoms of egg peritonitis.

I think the longer days stimulated her system and caused her to get much worse. She was a beautiful little bird, very sweet, and a little bit shy. I'm going to post pictures below; you can see that she was a very inquisitive. Even as a chick, she would sit for hours staring out the window! [​IMG]

She really started to decline today, and I had to finally put her down. Always a very sad thing to have to do, but I'm glad she was with me. [​IMG] I tried to stay calm and not give off any negative energy, but she struggled a little when I picked her up, and I think she knew something was up.
    Staring out the window:
    [​IMG]
    She was such a cute chick:
    [​IMG]
    Penny, sitting on my lap
    [​IMG]
    Almost a full-grown hen, just before she started to decline
    [​IMG]

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I'm sorry. I know that the death of a chicken is a hard thing. [​IMG]

3. cicene mete

cicene mete Songster

Jun 19, 2008
    Thanks for the kind words. It doesn't seem to get any easier. She was a good bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: