I lost my favorite hen today

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by noladq, Jul 5, 2010.

1. noladq

noladq Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2010
    She was the funniest little bird. She was a runt-y barred rock. I named her Rocky. When I first tried to integrate her into the flock, the other birds darn near killed her, so I nursed her back. A month later they did it again, and I nursed her back. Finally I was able to integrate her and her friend into the flock. She had the most personality - always talking to me with her funny voice. She'd run up to me in the yard for petting and she chased robins out of the veggie garden. What I like most was how she was always talking though. She was the best of my layers. An egg a day girl!

Yesterday she was sluggish and her comb was flopped over, grey and cold. I brought her into a separate cage in the garage. Her crop was distended and she was drinking and drinking. We kept her quiet and watched her for the day. She didn't seem too bad, but by midnight she started passing black liquid from her vent. We took her to a wonderful vet in Greeley. She had rocks in her crop that would require surgery. As well, she also had Egg Yolk Peritonitis‎. She was so uncomfortable and the chances of her survival were slim with treatment. I decided to euthanize her.

I've buried her in the garden where she really liked to tear up my mulch. I used to chase her out of there all the time. I planted one of the lilies from my mom's memorial to mark her spot (it's been a year of serious loss so far...).

Rocky and her buddy, Dot
    [​IMG]

My favorite chick-pic ever
    [​IMG]

The biggest layer was the smallest hen!
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Those reproductive malfunctions are really incurable unless you do a hysterectomy on them; even then, the infection is all through the abdomen usually. I'm sorry you lost her. I love my BRs, one of whom is currently dying from the same thing.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry you lost your favorite girl.

4. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] Loved your story. Most chickens are never known and never remembered. [​IMG]

5. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Oh, poor thing.

6. Nortonsmom

Nortonsmom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Ellenboro NC
    I'm so sorry....they are special little bits on our lives....[​IMG]

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So sorry...................

8. Chickiebaby8

Chickiebaby8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Kentucky
    [​IMG]
    I'm so sorry.

9. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    RIP little Rocky. Sorry you lost your friend.

10. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    So hard to loose a favorite! At least you gave her a great life. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by