I lost my first chick last night :mad:

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TexasJoe, Jun 9, 2008.

1. TexasJoe

TexasJoe Taking a break

Mar 3, 2008
    Well, one of my JCxR's past away last night. I received them early last monday, so i assume he was about 8-9 days old. It happened within a three hour of window. His rear had been picked at for the last 2-3 days, but I only saw him picking himself. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence that the waterer had run out for ~2 hours. Also, they could've simply gotten too large for their container and he got trample. I'm horrified, and disappointed in myself.

I spent most of the day constructing a new outdoor cage that is 12'x6'. It's made of re-used stainless steel kitchen shelves and double layered with chicken wire with a full roof. I plan on using a bail of hay for bedding, and 3 waterers and 3 feeders for them (26 chicks remain). I will finish it up tomorrow and move them outdoors. I'll monitor day/night temps and adjust accordingly.

Planning fly, mosquito, and raccoon control has been another issue to address. The cage will be raccoon proof, but i don't like their presence. I've heard mothballs are the best natural method of dealing with them, can anyone confirm this or give me a better solution?

thanks!!

2. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    They have this stuff at Home Depot here, called Critter Ridder, and it's like a black pepper concoction, we use it around our dog kennels to keep the puppies from digging. Basically, I think they hate the smell of it, and tend to stay clear, it's good for skunks, racoons, opossum, cats, dogs, etc. It's like $20.00 for a big jug of it, and you just sprinkle it around the perimeter of the coop/run etc.

3. tygab

tygab Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    Hi Joe,

sorry to hear about your chick... I know it's not unusual to lose chicks or even hens but that will not make it any easier to me whenever that happens, and I'm sure not for you either.

it sounds like the new brooder will be very comfy for them. all the best for the remaining 26 to become happy healthy chickens.

4. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    Quote:Interesting! Do you know if it is pepper for sure. We have a pepper tree (grows pepper corns) and the only thing that goes on that side of the yard are annoying things (rats and squirrels). I wonder if we have a natural repellent?

5. TexasJoe

TexasJoe Taking a break

Mar 3, 2008
    Thanks for the kind words. I was prepared and expecting to lose one, though i was gettting rather confident with 0% mortality in the first week. The more I read about the JCxRs, the more I'm worried. None of the other chicks have pick spots (though, they are in another brooder), but most of my JCxRs have some sort of bald spot. 3 of them have balding butts, 1 of them has the tip of wing feather bloodied, etc.

Does anybody know if PETCO/PETSMART carries the PICK-NO-MORE? Though, i'm sure they'll stop picking at eachother with more room, i would like to be a bit more proactive (if you can call it that after losing 1).

6. KellyandKatie

KellyandKatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Anyone know if the
    They have this stuff at Home Depot here, called Critter Ridder, and it's like a black pepper concoction, we use it around our dog kennels to keep the puppies from digging. Basically, I think they hate the smell of it, and tend to stay clear, it's good for skunks, racoons, opossum, cats, dogs, etc. It's like $20.00 for a big jug of it, and you just sprinkle it around the perimeter of the coop/run etc.

Stuff is kid and pet safe? Our yard is the yard that my very young kids and dogs also play in. BUT last night I heard something on our roof, and this morning found something had stolen and eaten a duck egg ( they did not get my muscovies - but did make off with an egg) So I am wanting something
    My chickens are all secured well, but my ducks housing is less secure for predators

7. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    It should be, it doesn't harm our puppies... I believe it's black pepper, and stuff. Once it's on the ground, you don't really see it, it lasts for like a week or something, being that we put it around the puppies. Check the label though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by