I lost my first chicken today

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by naakte, May 3, 2011.

1. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    with the huge flooding we have been having, my pine shavings in my coop got pretty wet so during the storms my hubby used 2 panels of metal fencing on top of 2 x 4 s to keep my chickens feet dry when they came out to eat. When the storms were over I removed the drenched pine and replaced it. I took the 2 panels of metal fencing and used it to keep the chickies out of the bails of pine shavings. This has worked very well for a few days, Today I heard a ruskus and went to investigate. The metal fencing had fallen over and had one of my red pullets trapped beneath it. I jerked up the fencing, but she was gone. My beautiful red very friendly girl died because i left the metal fencing upright in her coop. Of the 20 original chicks I have raised sinnce they were one day old, i have lost one not due to sickness, or preditor, but due to my not seeing that the fence upright was dangerous. my poor girl. I am such a cautious freak, how did I not see this to be dangerous!!!! the other 19 are huddled up and looking scared. My BR is not walking up to me now. I spent the last hour looking thru the coop to make double sure something like this couldnt happen again.
    Donna in Branson

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh I'm so sorry. Please don't be too hard on your self, but if it is any consolation, i know how those types of regrets feel. Accidents can happen though. Your other chickens will clam down soon.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] I'm so sorry. These things happen sometimes. Just remember, it was an accident, and you didn't mean it to happen. [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm so sorry. I know how it feels. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  5. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Oh I'm sorry... We all have had to learn from freak accidents. Please don't beat yourself up. [​IMG]

6. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry. none of us are perfect and have all made mistakes, don't be hard on yourself.

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I feel your pain -- I lost one the same way. [​IMG] It was a hard-learned lesson that I won't forget. I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

8. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    You guys are so kind Thankyou for your kind words, and yes I will not allow that to happen to one of my chickies again.
    Donna in branson

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by