I lost my first flock member yesterday.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lindz8504, Jul 29, 2013.

1. lindz8504

lindz8504 Songster

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    Aside from a few day old chick, I lost my first flock member yesterday. [​IMG]
    I had gone to the store and left my husband home with the kids, dogs and chickens. The girls were out free ranging, and my husband was unloading some stuff off his truck about 75 yards from the coop. Both of our dogs were out as well, the 140lb Great Dane and the 8 lb yorkie.... Anyway, he said he heard the chickens fussing about and hollered at the dogs. The dane came right to him and the chickens quieted down , so he assumed he was the one bothering the chickens. A few minutes later they started back up, and he went back up there and our yorkie had feathers in his mouth and one of the chickens was down.... When I got home, the chicken had already passed, but there wasn't really any major marks except for a place across her belly, which didn't really look all that bad....
    Needless to say, I feel awful for what happened, but I guess we all lose one now and then.....

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013

2. Sorry for your loss. Losses do happen. Yorkie chicken shepherding privileges are now revoked.

Wish ya the best.

3. lindz8504

lindz8504 Songster

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    Thanks! He is definately on a short leash from now on!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by