I lost my first hen today...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mener6896, Jan 25, 2010.

1. mener6896

mener6896 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I have been nursing a hen that has a prolapsed vent in my garage. As you can imagine my surprise that it wasn't her that died. I walked down to the coop today to collect the eggs, opened the door, to find a dead hen laying right inside of the door. I have no idea what happened. Her neck was bent down toward her chest, but there was nothing visibly wrong with her. She didn't appear to have been pecked. Is this one of the mysteries of chicken farming? Sometimes you just lose a hen? I am so saddened!!

I immediately shut the door and called my husband. I knew he couldn't do anything (he was at work) but I needed him to talk me through what I should do with her. He first said to dig a hole and bury her. My first thought was to toss her over the hill, but I knew there was a coyote den and didn't want to attract them to my girls. I took a big shovel, put her in a garbage bag, and put her in the dumpster....collection day is tomorrow. I know this sounds horrible, but I didn't know what else to do, or what else I could tolerate. I really didn't want to dig a hole in this frozen ground.

My beautiful bubble of chicken ownership has burst. Sometimes you have to deal with the not so fun stuff! I really didn't think it could get much worse than putting on a rubber glove, squirting Preparation H all over my hand, and trying to push a vent back inside a hen...I was wrong. This has been a true test about how much of a farmer I am. I've been playing this role for a year now, today I felt like I can do the hard stuff when needed to.

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm very sorry to hear that you lost her, particularly when you were nursing another. I think what you experienced may have been trauma- a hen who flew into something and died from the blow. People can go a decade without this kind of thing, or it can happen out of the blue. But check you other girls (I know you will) and the coop for anything that might have sent a bird to flight, just in case.

You do learn to cope, though it isn't pleasant. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  3. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    First....[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I lknow how it feels to loose your chickens. I lost more than half my flock on the 14th to a dog. I gave their bodies to a local petting zoo to feed the lions. But being that you do not know how the chicken died, I think it best to put it in the garbage. With my girls, I couldn't eat them because of the dog, (not that I would eat my babies) And I couldn't bury them because this is Wisconsin.

I could be that your chicken simply died of a heartattack. But watch you flock for any signs or changes.

I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

4. This is a difficult day, many of us have had this day. So Very Sorry for you Loss. [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

6. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    [​IMG] I haven't lost a hen yet, but my dog ate my favorite chick name Peanut a while back. [​IMG] It's sooooooo hard, but it doesn't hurt so much after a while. [​IMG]

7. chickenchaser99

chickenchaser99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    im so sorry to hear that my cat ate one the day after they were here [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]:hugs [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. mccaff mama hen

mccaff mama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'm so sorry. I'm finding that I'm getting more and more worried abut losing one of my girls to something. I feel lucky to have gotten them this old without losing one, esp since my PR's dog attack. I've seriously been talking to my DH about getting a couple more so if I did lose one the other wouldn't be alone.

9. Keenonf

Keenonf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2010
    Dallas area
    I'm so sorry for your loss [​IMG]. Just about everyone on this site has experienced the same exact feelings your are now. Try to remember that you gave it a good long life. I can tell that since you obviously care enough for this chicken, you were a very good momma and treated that hen like gold.

10. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I'm so sorry. I wish there is something more to help soften the blow, but know that we send our love and healing thoughts to your other chicka.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by