I lost my job for doing the right thing

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by perolane, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    I was the animal care manager/vet tech at a sarari park. One of the owner's old horses is suffering from what the vets & I assume is cancer. The owners hate to pay for vet care & always find a friend or neighbor to take advice from. 2 vets & I have treated her for everything under the sun, but they refused further testing to verify cancer because it costs too much. The horse has been sick for 6 weeks now...a pile of skin & bones with explosive diarrhea, too weak to hardly stand unless leaning on the fence, & her rectum has prolapsed.

Yesterday, the neighbor was there & told them there was nothing wrong with the horse...she just needed more feed. I was then directed to stop all meds & increase feed amount. I told them if they didn't do something with the horse (meaning further testing at an equine facility or euthanasia) that day..I was giving my notice & quitting. They told me to just go....nobody was going to threaten them that way.

For the past 4 months, I've been raising a kangaroo joey & he has been with me 24/7. The owner broke his leg pulling him out of his mom's pouch through a fence just to look at him. I pretty much gave up my life for the time it would take to raise him. We've been through surgery & 2 instances of intestinal distress where the prognosis was grave. Joeys are not like some other animals...they bond to only one person & that person has to see them through until they are about 10-12 months old, fully weaned, & mature enough to not think of hiding in the pouch when scared.

Gilbert is 8 months old...they would not let me keep him to finish raising him & then return him to the park. They actually ripped him out of my arms. In the past 4 months they have never seen him except in passing. They don't know how to care for him in any way. He was shaking & crying for me....he can easily stress out & die.

I am heartbroken...words cannot describe how I feel. All I can think of is how scared he is & how he feels abandoned. In trying to help the horse, I have sacrificed Gilbert too.
    Maybe I should have just bitten my tongue & waited until Gilbert was on his own, but I didn't think at the time. This is the first time that I've been punished for doing the right thing. I'm having a really hard time with this.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

That's awful! Is there no way you can get your job back?! I would be devastated!

[​IMG] Poor poor Gilbert!

Some people will do anything to dodge the responsibility of their pets.. IE: The horse owner...

3. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    I am so sorry:hugs

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

As a person who was an employee, you simply were not in a position of ultimate decision making. You put yourself in a vulnerable position by calling them out, saying you would quit if they did not follow your advice. They called your bluff. You've lost your job.

You are an empath, that is easy to detect. You have strong feelings and compassion and are emotionally involved in the processes at this facility that effects the well being of the animals. Those traits ran head long into the philosophies of the management/owners. To smaller or lesser degrees, all employees face these crisis moments. If you could not in good conscience work to make the place better, or have your voice heard in the decision making processes that allowed you to live with the outcomes, then it is best you for you to have left.

Perhaps one day you will either work for a place more in line with your own ethics on these matters or perhaps even own your own facility or be higher in the management, decision making administration of such a place. Then, your voice would be heard. Until then? It's best you try to move on and get on with your life.

5. Pokster

Pokster Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Manistique, Michigan
    I am so sorry to hear this. Lets pray that little guy gets through this. I hope these people realize what they have done in firing a good worker for no good reason. [​IMG]

6. JD4570

JD4570 Chillin' With My Peeps

People like that are not worth working for! They do not deserve your skill, knowledge, or passion for your work. I believe God will open another door of opportunity for something that is better or will lead to something better. Doing the right thing is not always easy but with practice it always gets easier. It took me years just to learn to say" no". Now it's easy. Also I now have peace in my life and that is worth a fortune to me. I do feel bad about Gilbert though. He is already emotionally scarred, possibly for life.You could report for abuse but don't know if you are ready for that.

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

I would definitely start stirring the pot so to speak with your local Animal Welfare unit. From the sounds of it, although we're only hearing your side of it, these people should have nothing to do with animals. I would go see the owners and let them know that you will be contacting all the local activists and the local media to share with them, the plight of these animals. The media would LOVE this kind of story. Ask these owners if they really want, or can afford this kind of publicity.

Understand that they are looking at this as a business and the unwillingness to seek proper veterinary care is most likely money motivated. This is a tough tough economy.

If that fails, go steal the Joey....

That last part was totally tongue in cheek. In no way do I advocate the breaking of any laws.

On legality, are there laws on the books down there regarding the minimal care standards for a business of this type?

8. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I agree with Fred's hens you drew the line in the sand. Hopefully this will lead you to a new job and soon. Horse owners are a fickle group.

9. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    I'd report them to any and every animal agency you can. In CA, animals have more rights than people do, put that to work for you One of the many reasons I'd rather live in the middle of nowhere with my animals - they are more decent that most 'people'. Good luck

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am so sorry about your job and worse for Gilbert. I sure hope the little guy gets through all of this okay. Meanwhile, time to call the calvary. News Stations, animal activist organizations the works. Get to it, today is Tuesdaay and everyone is open. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by