1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I lost my little girl, an EE called Grouse

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hennible, Sep 5, 2014.

1. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Gross was about four weeks old,at three weeks of age her mom started laying eggs again and lost interest in taking care of her. So most days I babysat. Yesterday I left her with the adults and it seems they lost her somewhere in the bushes. Also possible is that my Aussie pup may have killed her. Can't seem to find her anywhere and the dog doesn't seem guilty of anything. Maybe someone has some great ideas that could help me find her... She's the little bird in my avatar, every time one of my chickens reaches pet status something happens! Last year was a little black Bantam named noodle....Sorry for the sob story just wondering if anybody had any ideas :(

2. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    how old is she??

3. hennible

4 weeks

4. Howlet

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    could u describe how big she was?? im allready thinking she couldve been killed by a larger hen....

5. hennible

Possible, but no body... In the coop any way. She was about 3/4 the size of a bantam. Never considered it because she always cooped up for the night with her mom and the other adults. Arg I'm a idiot! Totally possible... :'(

6. Howlet

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    your not an idiot things happen! but you could look around if you wanted.... i mean chances of her being alive by now are slim...

7. hennible

I've looked, I knew better than to leave her. Yeah these things happen thanks. I guess my sister heard a chick commotion outside as she was leaving my place the other afternoon, so I assume that that was when the other birds got her... Any now I'm a wee bit peeved at her mom ( not rightly I know she's a chicken) but she was snuggled against her own mom last night. Well next year she'll do better I'm sure. Maybe even hatch more than one egg out of ten. Thanks a lot Howlet, love the avatar by the way.

8. Howlet

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Thank you and i hope everything gets better for you soon! i absolutly hate these kinda of posts especially when ppl leave them unanswered and the one asking is left hanging. Ik what it feels like about halfway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by