I Lost My Muscovys!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PrinceSandwich, Nov 17, 2009.

1. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    about a month a ago i got a trio of muscovy ducks. I kept them in a dog run (about a 100 sqf) that was 7 feet tall. I didn't clip there wings, because they never got out. I also kept them with a few chickens a duck and one turkey. The turkey started pecking on one of the muscovy hens, but i thought they just needed to work it out (there was no blood or anything). But one day i guess the hen got tired of it and got out of the pen, and started walking around our yard. No big deal i just put her back in. But the next day she was no where to be found. But i still had the pair, but decided to clip the hens wings (the drakes are to fat to fly lol) but when i tried to catch her she flu over the fence. I tried to catch her again and she took off into the field! I thought i'd lost her but went walkin out there anyway. Long story short i finaly got her back, and finished the job of clipping her wings! so a few weeks later i dicided to let them go freerange for a while in our horse paddock...BAD IDEA. I left them alone for a while, and when i came back they WHERE GONE!! i couldn't beleave it! i lost all my muscovys! The place i got them from said i could freerange then in a few days of having them penned up! I Had them in for a MONTH! What do you guys think? did i keep them in long enough?

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Mine usuallly figure out where 'home' is within a few days. They might still come back, just keep an eye out and some food close by.

3. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

A month is plenty long enough. Do you have predators that may have spooked them....? Is there someplace they may have hidden out that is close to the paddock? Hopefully, they will show back up tomorrow.

4. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    Free ranging is do-able if you don't have anything that wants to eat and/or kill your birds. If they disappeared w/out a trace after a few weeks being on your place, I'd suspect something ate them or just killed them for the sport (ex. dogs). If they found a nearby area that made them feel safer or had more tasty tidbits for them, they might have moved on their own accord.

5. 17roses

17roses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Greene County, TN
    We got some Muscovies from a guy who freeranged them but we have learned in our area it is a bad idea. We have ours in a large dog kennel that we move around so they arent stuck in a muddy pen. I only let them out when there is a "shepherd". We tried freerangin twice: The first time they got into the neighbors garden and ate all the tomatoes, the second time they almost got hit by a car as they waddled down the street (and no we dont live right on the road). We have alot of predators around here and though most people round here have acreage, the houses are close enough for them to get to. They are not smart enough to know to avoid the predators and cars. Unfortunately I have to agree that they probably didnt avoid danger. I keep a larger flock to control them better. I have had the occationally escapey but they stay close to the rest of the flock. Ducks that are always escaping I get rid of. Some ducks just dont stay in fencing, even though mine is covered with a tarp.

I thought chickens were dumb then I got my ducks. Mine will walk right up to the dogs that are barking and snarling. [​IMG]

6. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Sorry to read that, but if any consolation, you may have saved ours...We planned on free ranging them but after reading one too many threads like this have now decided to pen them...I hope they come back.....

7. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:I really do hope they come home:(

8. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:Yeah maybe it just depends on where you live. I know a few other farms pretty close that freerange they mucsovys and have never had a problem with it. So i really don't know what makes them run???

9. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:I don't think anything could have spooked them. There isn't any predators close to us (just a few coyotes, but they don't come around our farm during the day) do you think that the horses might of spooked them?? Yeah I hope they come home too:( But I don't think they will. When the one hen flu away before the others she never came back:( And its all ready been a couple of days since they left.

10. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

If they weren't used to the horses, esp. being right there with them, it is a good possibility that was the problem. My Scovies DO NOT like deer. Anytime we have deer coming thru our property, or they even get sight of or hear them, they run for cover... i.e. Our Carport. Then they will likely STAY in or near the carport thru most or the rest of the day. Deer are BIG predators to my Scovies never mind that the deer are not interested in eating them. Deer are big, run fast and could stomp on them. Horses COULD be the same if your Scovies weren't used to them and had not grown up around them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by