I lost one chick :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by white01, May 25, 2010.

1. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    I dont know what happened they were all healthy and energetic but I lost one of my BR chicks, had 15 now i have 14, and 6 silkies all 1 week old. I came home yesterday after being gone 2 hours, i have been checking everyday for pasty but, I noticed she had poop stuck to her but, can they die of this , i check everyday and clean them....I am heartbroken, now I check them 2 times a day for pasty but.

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I'm very sorry.

Yes, they can die from pasty butt. It's awful.

3. From my experience- when a chick is prone to pasty butt, it's because something's not quite right with their digestive system.
    Sometimes whatever is wrong with their system will improve with time, and they'll get better and go on to live happy healthy lives.
    Other times there is nothing that you can do for them besides making sure that those pasty butts don't become blocked by dried poo- and even with the most careful cleanings the chick will still die. It's sad, but by keeping them clean and warm, you're doing all you can do for them.

4. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    thanks for the replies, I have been checking them morning noon and night, the others are well, do hopefully it was just the one, even though i cried poor little thing....

5. Kevin Boyington

Kevin Boyington New Egg

May 10, 2010
    We've lost 2 out of 12. I am bummed about it, but I know there is nothing we can do except check for pasty butt and clean it.

6. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Sorry to hear that you lost one. Yes they can die from pasty bottoms and it will pass. I checked on mine 3 times a day and now they are over 2 months old free ranging their little hearts out. All you can do is check and keep cleaning their bums. Good luck.

7. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Sounds like you are a very caring chicken mama. I am sorry for your loss....

8. 4urbanchicks

4urbanchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    I am so sorry about your little one. We have three two week olds and I can only imagine how hard it is to lose one! Very frustrating! Take care and I will keep my fingers crossed for all your other chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by