I lost one chicken and another one of my girls layed a strange egg? Why??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jpena13, May 18, 2012.

1. jpena13

jpena13 Hatching

Sep 2, 2011
    I lost one of my hens. She died during the night inside the coop. Now the other hens will not sleep inside the coop, sleeping on top of the coop! I totally cleaned out the coop put new shaving but they still will not sleep inside! They go inside to lay their eggs to the attached section for that but wont sleep where they always have. It seems so sad. Any suggestions?????
    Thanks
    ps also one of my EE lay a shell -less egg it was complete it actually looked like a rubber egg. My Hen was very uncomfortable for a while afterwards but today she seems fine! Would love to know what happened to the shell??
    Thanks

2. Shell-less eggs are not all that uncommon, especially with newly-laying pullets, or hens coming out of a molt. But a girl who is not in these situations can throw one, too, just as a freak occurrence in her reproductive system. The cause is the egg not staying in the uetrus (shell gland) long enough for the shell to form - the shell is the last part of the egg to form.

As for your recalcitrant hens, the baddies out there in the night are reason enough to make the hens be in the coop. They may have forgotten this. When mine go on strike, I go out there at night and take them one by one and put them in the coop, on the roost. It has rarely failed to remind them why the coop's nicer than the tree, or the fence, or the porch, but sometimes it takes a few nights of doing this. Hope this helps!

3. jpena13

jpena13 Hatching

Sep 2, 2011
    Thank you I did not know about the rubber egg occurance! I tried putting them inside the coop they had a fit pecking at each other and slamming into the window trying to push it open I finally just let them out . should I have left them they really seem beside themsselves why are they behaving this way ?Do they still remember that a sibling died in the coop? I totally sterilized it put down new shaving and even put in some grit and seed treats but no takers yet ! They will go in to lay their eggs in the nesting boxes but no roosting at night and they are making a huge mess on top of the coop! Help I need advice! In a few weeks I will be introducing 8 new chics by way of putting a small chicken yard into the larger pen area so they can get to know each other but eventually I want them to roost all together inthe coop. Any suggestions please?????

thanks Jeanne

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Put them in after dark and they should settle down quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: