I lost one of my chickens this week

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sailormom1, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Sailormom1

Sailormom1 Hatching

Jul 27, 2014
    I am going to check into chicken farms around here and try to get two more chickens. One to replace my poor eagle my Scotty got ahold of and second to add to my group. Not sure how my 3 I have are going to handle that?

2. luvmypets

luvmypets Songster

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    :welcome

Thanks for joining the BYC flock.

Its always hard to lose a bird. Hope you feel better!

3. Sailormom1

Sailormom1 Hatching

Jul 27, 2014
    Thanks sincerly

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry for the loss of your hen. You might like to check out the BYC Learning Center, there is a good article on adding chickens to your flock https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock it is generally best to let them get to know each other gradually though wire so they can see and interact with each other but not touch, ie if you can divide your coop or keep the newer/younger ones in a cage inside the coop for a month or so (if you get really young ones, wait until the babies are about the same size as the older ones). The article also covers medical quarantine if you need to do that.

5. Sailormom1

Sailormom1 Hatching

Jul 27, 2014
    Ty kelsie that helps!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] It is never easy to lose a feathered friend. Kelsie has left you with a great link to follow on mixing new birds into a flock. Do it slowly from a cage or behind wire within the flock for several weeks. Everybody sees, nobody touches. After a few weeks you can mix them and it should go fairly well. Make sure to put out several feeding and watering stations so the new birds don't have to compete.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

So sorry for your loss!!

X3, introduce them slowly with a barrier in-between so they can see each other and be around each but can't reach and peck each other. Once they have been doing this for about a month then you can mix them. Make sure they have hideaways and plenty of space and toys.

Here's a link on how to do this.
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/06/integrating-new-flock-members-playpen.html

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  8. Sailormom1

Sailormom1 Hatching

Jul 27, 2014
    Thank you for the advice it has been sad for me . It was an accident . I am not upset at my Scotty terrior. My daughter and her friend had her buried with a butterfly light and flowers before I got home from work. That was very touching . She was a leader in the flock so the second to the top so I'm not sure what Happy Feet the main leader is going to do without her now. My son raised them since they where 4 days old before he left for the Navy!

9. Sailormom1

Sailormom1 Hatching

Jul 27, 2014
    How do you put a pic by your name ?

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If you are on your pc, you would go to the top corner where is says My Profile. Just beneath that is your screen name. Mouse over that and a window will drop down and in that list is a "replace avatar". Click on that it you can load on a pic.

If you are on your mobile, you can try the same thing. If it looks different from what I just described, you may need to down load a BYC app. You can go to this section for more help...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16183/mobile-feedback

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by