I lost one of my girls today. WHY?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LoneCowboy, Dec 20, 2007.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I've been outside all day long working in the garage and I've checked on the chickens dozens of time. All was well. Then I heard a ruckus and thougth, there must be an egg. Well sure enough, there was an egg. However, under the nest box sprawled out was one of my SLW girls dead. I picked up her little lifeless body and noticed that her vent was all bloody. What happened? There was no blood on the egg. No blood anywhere else. They were all fine just a little bit before that, nobody acting weird. What could have killed her that fast? I'm really upset.

2. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    [​IMG] got me. sorry for ur loss.

3. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    :aww

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's one of those things that just happens. I've lost two leghorns and a RIR just dead on the nest like that. Don't take it too hard because there's not much you can do about it.

5. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I'm sure sorry. It seems like these things happen way too often with our fragile chickens. Every day when I open the coop door, I half expect to have lost one during the night...so far I haven't but I know it will happen. Don't blame yourself it sure sounds like one of those unexplained things that just happens. :aww

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'm with Silkie...sometimes there is just something wrong on the insides of them that we can't figure out....sorry you lost her.....

7. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm sorry about the girl, Deniece. I know my day is coming to lose one, but I'm sure not looking forward to it. [​IMG]

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    sorry about what happened. There was nothing you could have done. My thoughts are with you.-karen

10. w8tn4fresheggs

w8tn4fresheggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Nebraska
    So Sorry about your loss. My first was last week. I never figured out why either. Again sorry that you lost her. Steph

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by