I lost one

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mgibbzzz, Nov 19, 2008.

1. mgibbzzz

mgibbzzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Somerset, OH
    [​IMG] Dh, brought me home 4 chicken from a guys he works with a couple of weeks ago. One was a banty and dh thought she was the cutest thing, next to lucky and easter..... Any way, my parents recently moved in with us because my dad has heart problems and is going blind. They brought their dog with them. He seemed to do okay with the chickens and never bothered him. Well, dh went out to feed the other day and he caught him with the banty in his mouth. Nothing reaaly left of her but the tail and wings. He went in and told my dad that we would have to put him in one of the other above ground kennels instead of the run. My dad was devastated that his 13yr old dog, that ironically can't see either, ate one of my chickens. He took his dog back to their house until they can get the other kennel ready for him. Dh and I both told him it was alright, that it wasn't his fault. We never should have put him there were he was close to the chickens. But he is just beating himself up over it. He can't figure out why none of our dogs, which most are trained to hunt, won't touch them, but his ate one. Honestly, Ifelt bad for the poor little things, but I sure that it was quick for he is a little bigger dog. But,I feel worse about my dad. He likes to go out and watch the chickens and the other animals, and he is just devasated. I don't know what to do to help him understand that it is okay and that it wasn't him fault that it happened. I haven't told my son yet, because I think he would be upset with the dog. (he thinks that maybe an owl or hawk got her while ranging) I can't blame a dog, just me and dh. He is 13 y/o and pretty much blind. We put him in a kennel that has housed a couple of our hounds that didn't mind the chicken comming in and out. In fact, when the one beagle was in there it laid eggs in his box. I've explained that to dad, but he still feels like it is his fault. I just keep tryin....

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Could be a predator got her and the dog just picked up the remains. Is that possible? Dogs dont usually eat the chickens they kill.

3. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] I am so sorry to hear about your Banty. Give your Dad a big Hug and tell him it is not his fault or the dogs fault. Accidents do happen. Maybe it happened as Speckledhen said a predator did the deed.

4. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Sorry about your loss. [​IMG]

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am so sorry. I agree with speckledhen...dog normally kill playing with chickens and they do not eat them...if there was just piece really left, I would look for another predator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by