1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I lost the white silky chick today* RIP little one*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bantymum, May 5, 2007.

1. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Im so sad, last night when i was locking all the babies in, i noticed the little white silky was cheeping away next to her mum.
    She wasnt warm enough, The langshan stepmum didnt have her tucked in under her wing.
    I should have taken her out and put her in a brooder but I thought maybe mum hadnt realised yet she was cold.
    Anyhow this morning the chick was very still and fluffed up, she ate and drank but then went back to sitting still.
    I put them both (mum and her) out in the sun where they are usually happiest whilst I took my son to play footy.
    I came back and she was deceased. The mum is still clucky and scratching up food for her spirit.
    Ive never had a mum lose a chick (only child) before so im not sure what to expect. she wanted to roost in the nursery tonight so ill just let her do what she wants.
    I buried the chick this afternoon.
    The little chick was the only hatchling from the batch of eggs that i was sent, she is the one that I helped out of the egg 1 week before easter.
    Anyhow life goes on but im sad.

2. jmofaustin

jmofaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I am sorry for your loss :aww, I too, lost a baby this morning [​IMG], I knew she was not well last night so I gave her vitamins (polyvisol), but this morning my dd woke me up at 5:30 am and said "my chickie isn't moving mommy". I think I was already prepared though, she had been acting strange for a few days.

3. bantymum

Yes i tried a vitamin fluid as well in the water this morning.
    We did try to help them, im sorry for your loss today too.
    Helen

4. merryreader

merryreader Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry you lost a chick. Last spring when I got mine, I lost 3 to unknown causes. It's very painful, but we must go on. Merry

5. jmofaustin

jmofaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Oh I forgot to tell you, mine was a little sumatra and I never even get a pic of her by herself. I had three and she just wasn't growing like the other two. What a bummer of a day for us.

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Sorry for all you guys' losses...[​IMG]

7. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    [​IMG]

8. bantymum

Yes, I didnt get a photo of mine either.
    I would say she started off on the wrong foot as I had to help her out of the egg, though she lived for 4 weeks!
    Im sorry for your loss too.
    Helen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by