1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I lost track of time!!! Momma & Baby pic

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kinardmommy, Aug 13, 2008.

1. kinardmommy

kinardmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Texas
    So I have two hens that are siting on 12 eggs apiece. I thought they had been sitting for about 2 weeks now. Well I go out today and two of the eggs that I got a look at are pipped!! I am sooo eggcited. This is such a pleasant surprise and it really made my day.

I do have a question. Their nest that they are on is about 4ft off the ground. Will the chicks fall out or what do I need to do? This is my first time hatching with a hen. Thank You

[​IMG]

Can I just tack hardware cloth over the opening to keep it secure? I will remove it after a couple of days and get them out. Right now I do not want to move them to ground level in the middle of hatching and risk the hens not hatching them completely.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Yes, they will fall out. Mama hen will want to leave the nest and after they are a couple days old, she will expect them to follow her.

Can you lower it or move them to a protected nest at ground level? A large dog crate works well.

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    they will fall out at least add a piece of wood on the front of the nest

4. kinardmommy

Apr 7, 2008
    Texas
    I secured the pen so all the babies will be safe. When I returned to the coop with the food tray I had refilled Penny(the hen on the left) had gotten up off the eggs and was making lots of noise like she does when she gets upset. I looked down at the eggs and saw that one of the baby chcks was coming out of the egg. I realized that is why she had gotten up and she was making all the noise to announce her baby chick. This was sooo wonderful to see.A few minutes later she nestled herself back onto the eggs.

After seeing how naturally a hen does her job, I will never incubate eggs again. They are amazing and the whole process leaves me feeling so very satisfied.

5. kinardmommy

Apr 7, 2008
    Texas
    Here is Penny with her first hatched baby.

[​IMG]

I will post more pics as they hatch.

6. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Congratulations!!! I loved my broody with her babies!!! Your right, there is nothing better to see. Mine nested in one of the nest boxes, she wouldn't stay on the eggs anywhere else, so when they started hatching we nailed up a 2x4 along the bottom of the nest box, so the babies wouldn't fall out, and then when they were all hatched we moved mom & the babies to their own area in the coop. I can't wait to see more pictures!!!! It just get better from here! Wait till she is showing them where food is. [​IMG]

7. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Quote:AND HOW ADORABLE IS THAT ?! Our Jersey Black Giant hen HATES when we invade her space with a camera when she is broody. She gives us that same look, as if she's saying "HEY, How about a little privacy here?!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by