I lost two chickens today :*(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DTRM30, Jul 6, 2010.

1. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    We've been having a heat wave - it got to 102 today. Two hens died [​IMG]
    - one white rock - and one a white easter egger. poor girls [​IMG] I'm gonna miss her light blue eggs. But all the others seem OK - even my 2 week old chicks. Maybe next year I'll replace her.

THey had water last night before I went to bed, but it was dry when I got home from work. They didn't seem overly thirsty though - so don't think it was dry very long - which leads me to believe it was just the heat. [​IMG] she even laid an egg today at some point - I don't think it was too long before I got home. and their run is covered for shade and everything - but it doesn't normally get this hot hear in New England - and this came on fast so they didn't get any time to acclimate.

Strange it was my only two white hens. [​IMG] except for my silkies.

Anyway - hope no one else has any losses to the heat ...

2. Miss Sebright

Miss Sebright Little Hen.....Big Attitude!

Apr 3, 2009
    In a nutshell
    [​IMG]

3. Mommi3130

Mommi3130 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I know..its nasty hot up here right now..
    I'm trying everything i can think of to try to prevent mine from croaking too...
    Sprinklers and cold drinking water and frozen watermelon and treats... I dont know what else to do...
    I'm worried about my other animals too.. [​IMG]

5. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

It was 102° here today, too, and the poor girls were all panting so bad - I put frozen two liter water bottles in the coop hoping they'd help a bit. Lots of fresh water and shade - at least inside the coop it was only 92°. Thank goodness for insulation.

6. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Awe, I'm so sorry for your loss. It crossed my mind today that something like that could happen to mine, also. They are stressed to the max. When I got home my rooster's waterer was bone dry. He didn't seem stressed, tho. It was 100 today here and is supposed to be hotter tomorrow.
    I think you're probably doing the best you can. So so sorry. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    [​IMG]

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    The thing thats hard about New England is..the weather changes so much here... it can be 60-70 one day, and 102 the next..
    So the animals have a hard time adjusting to the heat... and its really hard on them.

My duckies really liked playing in the sprinkler today though... [​IMG] So we'll turn it on tomorrow for them too...
    Water bill isnt gonna be cheap when it comes in... We ran the sprinkler all day today..and will tomorrow too..
    Although.. i wonder if i'm making a more humid enviroment by using it?

9. Chickiebaby8

Chickiebaby8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Kentucky
    I'm very sorry. [​IMG]

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I am so sorry for your loss. We haven't experienced heat like this in 11 years. The birds don't know how to deal with it and no matter how hard we try, we're likely to lose some. My birds are all in the woods and under deep shade and had fresh water all day. I lost a black orp hen today to heat stroke and have a duckwing araucana hen, Holly, on her way out. I brought her in to cool her, but I don't think she'll make it. [​IMG] The next couple days don't seem like they'll be much better. Praying for rain to break this crazy heat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by