1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I love chickens!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Sjisty, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Owning chickens is such a satisfying experience! In the morning, I can't wait until daylight to go out and open the coop doors. I greet and am greeted by my girls as they file out. The guys, of course, are much to important to stop for a word - they just strut right on out the door, turn around, and wait for the first girl out (poor girl). If she's too slow, she gets courted and mounted (sometimes the courting is skipped for a super-quickie). Side note - Sampson, my favorite roo, heads to the front door for his special treat of a bite of eggs or whatever tidbit I saved for him at breakfast. He struts through the doorway like he owns the place, eats his treat, sometimes crows in my kitchen, and then turns around and struts back to the front door to be let out to start his day.

During the day, whenever I can I go outside and within 90 seconds am surrounded by chickens. Of course they know if I'm out there, I don't go empty-handed. Snack time is much appreciated by all. Again, the boys are too proud to eat, calling over their favorite girls for the best treats, although I have caught them scarfing down treats on the sly when no one is looking! I collect whatever gifts have been layed by my girls and thank them.

At dusk, it's time to go and tuck everybody in. Again, the girls get a pat and a goodnight. The boys get a pat, but as it is not macho to enjoy petting, they just grumble and move away. I check once again for eggs and close the doors, knowing that tomorrow I get to do it all again.

Life is good!

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Loved your story!

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    awe, your chickens sound like happy people!!!!! okay, i know they are just chickens, but they are sometimes much nicer and funnier to hang with than humans. lol.
    okay, too much coffee for me already, cant believe i said that! lol!!! btw: great story!
    [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Happy to hear your chickens bring you so much joy. Sometimes it's the simple things. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by