I Love Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jmandawn, Oct 23, 2013.

1. jmandawn

jmandawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Palmer, Alaska
    I guess I should have taken the time to introduce myself some time back. I joined BYC many months ago and just read the different threads without ever making a post. At the time we were still living in Tennessee (back in Alaska for good) and we had a small flock (5) which was made up of 2 Black Australorps, a New Hampshire Red, a Barred Rock and a Buff Orpington. We would have got more but we knew we had a move ahead of us the next year and didn't want to have to deal with relocating a bunch of chickens. I have raised and bred Canaries for the last 12 years but never had any idea I would love my chickens sooooo much.

My husband grew up on a farm where they raised chickens for eggs and meat and would kill 100+ a year for food. I grew up in a rural area and we had ornamentals (feather legged) more than anything. I didn't pay that much attention to them as a kid but after getting our first chicks and raising them I was completely hooked. I had no idea that chickens had such personality.

After they left the comforts of our home they lived in a 10 x 20 dog kennel chain link fence and slept inside an igloo dog house. My husband took PVC and made them several roosts in the corners by pushing it through the wire as well as putting a large branch inside the kennel laying across the dog house for them to climb up on. My husband put bird netting across the top and tied it down with wire tires to prevent any hawks (we had a lot of them in the area) from scooping them up.

Every day I would go out and open the door to the cage and the chicks would come running out right behind me and follow me towards our back deck. I liked to leave my windows open for the breeze to pass through and they would crawl up on a bench seat and sit next to a window just to hear me talk to them. We got our first eggs at 19 weeks and were thrilled beyond words.

We have since moved to Alaska and our neighbors took our chickens and we have moved into an area where I can have up to 10. With 3.2 acres they are going to have plenty of room to free range and I have had my husband reading the threads on coops and inventions to get lots of ideas.

I look forward to reading the forum every day and hope I can make some contributions that will help others as I go.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! Glad you joined BYC! :~D

5. ktgouge

ktgouge Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2013
    Lovely East Texas
    Welcome! [​IMG]

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined!

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.:frow

10. jmandawn

jmandawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Palmer, Alaska
    Thanks to everyone! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by