I love days off.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Dogfish, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    It allows me time to watch my birds. It always amazes me at how much it erodes the stress of the prior week. So I'm hanging out with the birds, working in the shop, and I look out to see something I've read about, but haven't seen.

My Tom is strutting his stuff, and one of my hens sits down for him.

Made my day to know spring has sprung around here.

That is all.

2. We always try to put a stop to the chores around 2 or 3 on Saturday and sit out back and watch the "poultry channel" for the rest of the day.

Steve

3. Willowsong69

Willowsong69 Chirping

Nov 8, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Beats real TV any day.

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Songster

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I totally agree. [​IMG]

5. Quote:Beats real TV any day.

It's in high def to. LOL

Steve

6. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Songster

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    My bird chores take forever because I usually find myself sitting down out there and hand feeding clover and dandelion leaves. I keep a frisbee out with the turkeys too. They aren't good at catching or retrieving, but they love to chase it! [​IMG]

7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:I totally agree! It is such a stress reliever and when I tell ppl. this they look at me like....What! I think that boy is smoking crack!! But I make sure on my days off I get out there to the chickens and ducks as many times as possible.

8. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Songster

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    About to go spend some time with the birds myself. I am going nest hunting! I found a guinea nest yesterday inside of a 5' box blade with hairy vetch growing over the top for cover. The turkey hens have been headding in the area of the pond everyday solo, so I know there is a nest somewhere in the blackberry thicket. It's like an early easter egg hunt.

9. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    I went nest hunting today also. Since we started picking up eggs the 1 hen that is laying stopped laying them in the one nest she has set up. Her new nest is in the outside nestbox, in the chicken run. Guess that worked out pretty well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: