I love Fleet Farm - cheap acrylic

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by True Grit, Oct 1, 2011.

1. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Last winter I put clear vinyl shower curtains around my run to wind and snow proof it but I put a lot of staples in the wood, went through a lot of vinyl and still would end up outside in the dark in a blizzard re-stapling the flapping plastic. I've been looking at plexiglass sheets but that stuff is super expensive so I was resigned to using plastic again until I went to Fleet Farm. They had Optix clear acrylic .080 sheets for about 30% off and they weren't high to begin with. I got 4 36"x72" for $96, 3 30 x 40ish for $42 and 2 24"x30" for $24, total $162 plus $15 for mirror brackets to put them up with. I bet I spent $40 on plastic last winter and these panels should last for many years. [​IMG] Yay Fleet Farm! Also their gas was 3.48 vs 3.89 in my area for premium.

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Why couldn't you use plywood or pressboard? It's about $7 a sheet here. [​IMG]

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Seriously?? Plywood at $7 a sheet?????? T-111 runs over $20 a sheet the last time I looked, about 10 years ago!

Send some my way!

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Quote:It will save you time too! Good job hunting down a bargain.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Nice find!

Last year I used 6 mil plastic and covered it over with cheap reed rolled fencing. The fencing helped keep the plastic in place and not flapping. When spring rolled around, I took down the plastic but recycled the fencing back up to provide shade.

6. True Grit

Quote:That would certainly work and be cheaper. I just like seeing in and them being able to see out!

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    LOL. I have an eclosed wood coop, but an open chicken yard where they can run and I can watch them. Seems like plastic would create a greenhouse effect, and be too expensive.

PS. love your siggy
    !

8. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Quote:Pressboard is $7, plywood is a little bit more. I just built my baby coop out of it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  9. True Grit

Quote:Thanks! Yes greenhouse effect is exactly what I'm looking for when it gets below zero or so. It's not a big run and I want to keep out the snow so I leave open space on the lee side for moisture to escape. It's pricey but the perfect solution (I hope) for me..

10. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    I go to Fleet Farm every Saturday whether I need anything or not.
    Turns out I always do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by