"I Love GUINEAS"- Forest Gump

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KareyABohr, Feb 1, 2009.

1. KareyABohr

KareyABohr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Well they have done it again!

We recieved 6 guineas from the neighbor who knew my 4 year old son just ADORED them. DH wasn't super happy about it, especially when they started to roost in the morton building!
    BUT today they have proven their weight in gold! I was playing a fiercely competitive game of UNO with my 7 year old when the guineas started going nuts.
    Sure enough there was a Red Tailed Hawk roosting about ten feet from my Australorp herd! They ran for cover but we have had these hawks take them from inside the building!

The Guineas bought me enough time to fire off the 12 gauge into the air and scare him off! PESKY BIRD! I guess he was in the mood for a 3 piece chicken dinner! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Glad the troops were on duty and the hawk had to look for dinner elsewhere. Hope he decided on a nice fat rodent. Guineas sure can make a racket don't they.

3. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Congrats to your `alarmists'. Just keep `em away from the road.

Have to watch our speed in this neck of the woods owing to several of the neighbor's screamers always being out and contemplating suicide.
    [​IMG]

4. KareyABohr

Jan 14, 2009
    SE Iowa
    We live a quarter mile from the paved road so not too many problems...I am just not looking forward to rounding them up when we move to the new house! [​IMG]

5. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    Don't they roost same as the chickens? Just move them after sundown and place everybody into their new barn for the night, no problem![​IMG]

6. KareyABohr

Jan 14, 2009
    SE Iowa
    I only WISH it was that simple!
    Everyone is shut up tight for the night and the guineas are roosting in the rafters of the Morton Building....

[​IMG]

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Don't they roost same as the chickens? Just move them after sundown and place everybody into their new barn for the night, no problem!

You are saying this with a smile so maybe you already know that Guineas don't always give a rip where you want them to roost. Sometimes when they are locked up in a coop for about 8 weeks before being let out to free range they will always go back to that coop to roost. But, they often pick their own place to roost... especially if there are trees nearby.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by