I LOVE having chickens!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChicknBaron, Sep 14, 2012.

1. ChicknBaron

ChicknBaron Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    I love having chickens and I would, in all honesty, like to have a chicken business![​IMG] Like a breeder, or supplier or things like that, But I don't really know of too many other job/business opportunities in the chicken industry?? So If anybody has any chicken business suggestions, Please Post!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Breeder, hatchery, feed store job (maybe), photography, poultry judge, there aren't many options for careers with poultry... hope that helps... I want a careeer with poultry, too. It's too bad there aren't many options out there. =(

3. ChicknBaron

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    Thanks for the ideas! i know what you mean, its more like a hobby or side job... it's too bad[​IMG]Oh well life goes on...

4. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Don't forget, all those hatcheries need chick sexers.... I wish somebody would offer a you tube video for that.

Chicken / bird vet would be nice too! We have a bird vet in this area, but her mind set is not what is needed for the backyard chicken breeder. She thinks in terms of treating one bird at a time. I could really use a vet that could wrap their head around the idea of treating 50 - 100 birds at one time. For example, if you only have ONE bird, then you can prescribe $100 in antibiotics. However, you can not prescribe the same antibiotics if you need to treat 50 birds...

I wonder if you could start a business involving chicken grooming for all the folks bringing birds to shows...

How about the folks that work for NPIP. Those folks do testing on birds for diseases.

5. ChicknBaron

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    Maybe genetics or something like that where you have purebred chickens snd supply breeders and stuff like that??? Theres actually alot of possibilities when ya think about it:)

6. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    There really aren't a lot of g=jobs that involve chickens out there [​IMG] I actually plan to start a hatchery within the next two year, I've already got the company name, breeding pens, etc. figured out. There are no hatcheries out here, so I'm hoping it will work out okay.

7. ChicknBaron

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    Well, i wish you the best of luck, [​IMG] and once you get it going i'll order some chicks from you[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by