I love my Brahma

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Morgan7782, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I was just outside visiting all the girls and just need to write how much I love this new girl. I was visiting Munk and Joon, who are my 14/15 week old girls, and went to the pen where Monica, my new Brahma, and my Wyandottes reside. She is so gentle with the babies, and when they act crazy chicken, she gives ONE peck on the head, they freeze, and she goes about her buisness. The peck is never too rough or anything, just enough to snap them out of their hyper moments. I am looking forward to letting everybody together this Tuesday and hope it goes well. Monica has been in the coop with the 10 week old Wyandottes, and has done wonderfully. I never hear any aggresive sounds or potential dangers at night, everybody sleeps soundly. She is also very friendly and has a kind eye. Plus she is HUGE!!!

Oh man, speaking of which.. My young cat was outside the other evening after I cooped up Munk and Joon in their coop. Monica and the Wyandottes were in the pen, which is totally cat safe, and my cat was QUITE scared of this new HUGE chicken! And boy she stared him down hardcore. Talk about mean mugging! He slunk away, belly to the ground. I am sooo happy! This is the cat I have been worried about, but all my girls will be BIG girls when they are grown. I have EE, Barred Rock, Wyandottes and the Brahma. Poor cat won't know what hit him!! lol!

Does anybody else have Brahma's? Tell me some stories about your own Brahma's!

2. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I have brahmas. I have only had them since January when I purchased 5 chicks from a breeder. Luckily I got all pullets. I call them my ladies My grandkids call them Grammies little eagles as when they were small they did look like baby eagles with their white heads. I have one little lady who waits for me every morning to come inside the coop and lift her down from the perch. She can easily jump down but she waits for me. If I dont go inside the coop or one of my grandsons feed, I will find her still sitting up on the perch waiting to be lifted down. Meet Lady Jane
    [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    When I was a kid we had a light brahma that was the best broody ever. Hatched out and raised over 30 chicks!

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I love my Brahmas too, Gold, Blue Partridge, Red Pyle and Dark.
    The boys (unless I am looking for pure blood lines) run together with the girls and chicks eat with the big boys from the same feeder without a hint of aggression. I only have a problem if a stroppy little Warren happens along and she will peck the big boys.
    I have a melee of dog, cat, chickens, sheep and a goat, and no real problems with any inter-species bickering either.

The big boys are happy to be around each other and crow together....now that's a horrible noise! They are however very docile with everything else, though a couple of the girls have to wear saddles as they are... rather enthusiatic
    potential fathers....bald backed Brahmas don't look so good.

One of my Dark Brahma girls had an injury some weeks ago since which time she has come in through the kitchen door every time the door is opened and perches on up-turned wellingtons....she is one huge bird! She is virtually a house hen.

Another Gold Brahma hen is broody for the third time in her short life (not quite 10 months old yet), so she is destined to become a champion hatcher by the look of things.

Chance matings with my Warrens has given me one or two very interesting birds....they have not reached full maturity yet, but are extremely pretty.

Well, I just love Brahmas,

Sandie

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My adult flock is nothing but brahmas. I have five darks, including Thor the wonder roo:

[​IMG]

I also have five buffs and 4 lights. Here's one of my favorite pics of Thor with two dark girls and two lights:

[​IMG]

I just posted a story about one of my light brahma hens, Jezebel:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=371998

I have two special needs brahmas, Lilith and Lil'Bit. Lil'Bit has been partially blind (from birth) but she does just fine as part of my free range flock. Lilith swallowed a piece of broken glass more than a year ago, but for the most part does fine. She has periods where she starts to lose weight and stops laying and I have to baby her a bit to get her back on the road to health.

Love my brahmas and this forum is full of stories about them. [​IMG]

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Beautiful pictures all! Looove hearing about these sweet giants. I thought my girls was too big to roost, well this morning I went out to snap pictures of my suspected cockerel and look!

[​IMG]

She roosts just fine and dandy! She just changes from roosting to sleeping in the nest boxes whenever she feels like it [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    LF brahmas aren't too big or too heavy to roost, but you do need to be careful on your roost placement. Too high and they risk injuring a leg jumping down. My roosts are roughly 2 ft. off the ground, my nestboxes only about 18".

8. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thank you for the tip! My coop roosts are real close to the coop ground so I think that's fine, but I was going to add a roost to my OTHER coop and I am glad to have this tip for that. I take it Brahma's don't tend to fly over 6-8 foot fences? I am glad for that as well. The perimeter of my yard is fenced with 8 foot dog ear fencing and 7 foot in some places. Neither my EE nor my Barred Rock have made any move to escape lol, but I was expecting SOMETHING. Glad to know Brahma's are stick to the ground rather then fly to escape kinda chickens.

On my original breed list, Brahma's were not on that, in fact I knew nothing of the breed. Monica is just very sweet, and a big happy girl. I cannot wait to let her free around the yard for the first time tomorrow [​IMG]

9. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My adult Brahmas do not fly around at all, though they all do as chicks. I think that their wings look too small for their big bodies to fly much, but they are able to summon the effort to roost or to escape a threat if they want to.

Never a need for wing clipping!

Sandie

10. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Great! I am avoiding any wing clipping. All my breeds are large fowl, at least I think so. I have Barred Rock, EE, Wyandottes and the Brahma. Hopefully they will all remain in the backyard [​IMG] glad to know the big birds don't fly much as adults though. I love how big and fluffy Monica is, and those feet are just great! My family knows nothing about chickens except they lay eggs, so the fact I have an EE with green legs, and now a fluffy legged gal, my family is really interested in learning about them now! They call my EE a "Martian" because of her legs lol. I love variaty in a flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by