I LOVE MY BRITE TAP CHICKEN WATERER

jk47

Songster
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
CA
I used to have the standard waterer,the one with a tank and and a pan on it and as we all know they get dirty and you need to clean them often well with my new brite tap I don't t have to do any of that its a automatic watering system that you put on a cooler if any of you haven't seem one and its a sealed system so no gross stuff can get in no matter how hard your hens try to get shavings in it and best of all my hens get fresh clean water 24hours a day and its easer to fill and carry to them

Mine is like that but I made it with a 5 gallon bucket from TSC and I ordered a 10 pack of nipple drippers from ebay. Total cost around $7.00 for one complete bucket.

Picture is not mine. I don't want to go out in the cold and take a picture lol.

After much careful research, I got a "Bright Tap", for my brooder. To have something not too big for the chicks, I attached the unit to a heavy plastic water pitcher, for now.

The chicks learned to use it within a few minutes, and it's AWESOME !! Totally trouble free. Totally clean water ALL the time. No way for bedding or crud to get in. No daily cleaning it. Saves HOURS! And as the chicks grow, the size of the water tank can be adjusted accordingly. I already have a large cooler that will carry the babies to adulthood.

I don't think I'd ever use anything else. Why add all that work ?

Sorry to hear ! I just tapped the nozzles with my fingers, and made sure the water came out so they could see it, and they went for it !

Maybe changing the height might help ?

Added another paver under the waterer
..then I held one hen to the nozzle and she drank fine.....she is one to drink water drops off the leaves when they drip!
However the next time she drank she used the old bell waterer.
Another of the girls was checking it out. so we will see!

Well - that's some progress ! From everything I learned about transitioning the birds to nipples, is to remove any other water sources (pans/bowls etc) , which will make them more likely to try a new idea. Good luck !

Added another paver under the waterer
..then I held one hen to the nozzle and she drank fine.....she is one to drink water drops off the leaves when they drip!
However the next time she drank she used the old bell waterer.
Another of the girls was checking it out. so we will see!
When I changed over the nipple system I had to harden myself and take out the old waterer. I was terrified that they wouldn't drink at all - that I'd find my chicks dead from dehydration some morning, but someone much wiser than I am about chickens (Beekissed) told me that the only way to get them to use it was to be sure they had to use it. They are survivalists - they'll drink wherever they find water. So I hung the thing up and in minute or two one of the little chicks went over to investigate that little red thing with the shiny center. She pecked it - water came out. The other chicks were watching. Training time over. That simple.

They are now almost 19 weeks old, and strong and hardy. I switched from the two gallon container to a 5 gallon one when they went out to the coop and I also went to horizontal nipples - I think they drip less while the chickens are drinking and 22 chickens can make quite a lot of drips! I've put aside the smaller one with vertical nipples and will use it when I bring in new babies....it's smaller and will fit the brooder better. I don't worry about the chickens not getting enough water anymore - I've watched them in the yard and they are very resourceful. If they see a water droplet on a leaf they will snatch it, just like yours. It's an opportunity and their instincts tell them not to pass up an opportunity. Is that one droplet enough to stave off dehydration? Nope, but it's a drop and those add up. It's the same concept with the nipple waterers. If you put a pan of water in their coop or run they'll act like they're dying of thirst and attack it wildly. Trust me, they aren't dying of thirst. A larger open source is there, and they're going take advantage of that opportunity. I'll never go back to an open waterer or a bell waterer. But it only worked because I trusted people who told me that if I was going to switch, then I had to switch completely. They were right. I hope this helps you.

When I changed over the nipple system I had to harden myself and take out the old waterer. I was terrified that they wouldn't drink at all - that I'd find my chicks dead from dehydration some morning, but someone much wiser than I am about chickens (Beekissed) told me that the only way to get them to use it was to be sure they had to use it. They are survivalists - they'll drink wherever they find water. So I hung the thing up and in minute or two one of the little chicks went over to investigate that little red thing with the shiny center. She pecked it - water came out. The other chicks were watching. Training time over. That simple.

They are now almost 19 weeks old, and strong and hardy. I switched from the two gallon container to a 5 gallon one when they went out to the coop and I also went to horizontal nipples - I think they drip less while the chickens are drinking and 22 chickens can make quite a lot of drips! I've put aside the smaller one with vertical nipples and will use it when I bring in new babies....it's smaller and will fit the brooder better. I don't worry about the chickens not getting enough water anymore - I've watched them in the yard and they are very resourceful. If they see a water droplet on a leaf they will snatch it, just like yours. It's an opportunity and their instincts tell them not to pass up an opportunity. Is that one droplet enough to stave off dehydration? Nope, but it's a drop and those add up. It's the same concept with the nipple waterers. If you put a pan of water in their coop or run they'll act like they're dying of thirst and attack it wildly. Trust me, they aren't dying of thirst. A larger open source is there, and they're going take advantage of that opportunity. I'll never go back to an open waterer or a bell waterer. But it only worked because I trusted people who told me that if I was going to switch, then I had to switch completely. They were right. I hope this helps you.

I have not seen the horizontal water system. Where can this be found/looked at? Thank you for the reply and info..I am still fairly new to the chicken world.

I have not seen the horizontal water system. Where can this be found/looked at? Thank you for the reply and info..I am still fairly new to the chicken world.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-HORIZONT...966?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339028f376 I'm not sure if that link will work or not - I've not had a good success rate with trying to post links. <sigh> I'm new too, just 4 months old in chicken years, and I'm learning fast! I got mine from eBay for $21.00 for 10 of them, with free shipping to boot. I really like them - easy to install and there's a little bit of a cup on the underside of the nipple that really helps with dripping. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom